Letter of Theodore Beza to Christopher Hatton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I see that there is a copy of a letter from Theodore Beza to Christopher Hatton, the Lord Chancellor, available to read from the British Library. Obviously, it is in Latin, so we need someone to volunteer to translate it. Calling @Charles Johnson to the front desk!!!!

The reference is Theodore Beza to Christopher Hatton, 10 October 1582 (British Library, London, Letterbook of Sir Christopher Hatton, Lord Chancellor, 1572–1607, ff. 119v–120r).

That would be interesting. Hatton was a great enemy of the late Elizabethan Puritans (he equated them to be treated like Papists). He figured in my background study to Bownd's True Doctrine of the Sabbath.
I see that there is a copy of a letter from Theodore Beza to Christopher Hatton, the Lord Chancellor, available to read from the British Library. Obviously, it is in Latin, so we need someone to volunteer to translate it. Calling @Charles Johnson to the front desk!!!!

The reference is Theodore Beza to Christopher Hatton, 10 October 1582 (British Library, London, Letterbook of Sir Christopher Hatton, Lord Chancellor, 1572–1607, ff. 119v–120r).

Sorry, gents. I can read Latin, but not 16th century handwriting.
Here is a portion of the letter in printed Latin (which one would assume gets to the heart of the matter under discussion)... You're welcome! ;)

Perhaps rather than actually having to spend the time to translate it, could you maybe read it over and give the gist of it?

Also couldn't help but notice the author of the linked book describes Beza as German, whereas he was of course French-Swiss...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back