Ligonier Statement on Christology

Status
Not open for further replies.
No reason for that. The lectures will be online next week. They do offer massive discounts on their books while at the conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the update,

We are part of Ligonier Connect and one day we would love to go to a conference. (any conference)
Living in Australia makes the trip a lot more difficult, something we can't really afford.
One day maybe, they might hold a conference down under, (you can always dream)

Hope you are finding it profitable...

Ya that'd be quite expensive. You know their Internet guy is Nathan Bingam (not sure I spelled that right). He's from AUS I think. Send him emails!

The statement is fantastic. It's beautifully written yet easily understood. You can access it digitally here. Looking forward to the lectures and panel discussions from the conference coming out.

There is an explanatory essay that goes over key points of the statement. RC said he actually wasn't the main force behind this. Stephen Nichols was one of the main crafters.

See a critique by Mark Jones:

http://www.reformation21.org/blog/2016/02/reviewing-ligoniers-christolog.php

From its conclusion:

"To that extent, while I commend Ligonier for wanting to publicly defend the truth, I am not as excited about the content of the Creed and the Affirmations and Denials as some are, especially given how long it took to craft (3 yrs) and the resources they have at their disposal. That is not so much a slight on the authors of the documents as it is praise for Reformed divines from previous eras who framed such beautiful and precise statements regarding our Lord Jesus Christ - statements that are, I think, hard to improve upon."

See a critique by Mark Jones:

http://www.reformation21.org/blog/2016/02/reviewing-ligoniers-christolog.php

From its conclusion:

"To that extent, while I commend Ligonier for wanting to publicly defend the truth, I am not as excited about the content of the Creed and the Affirmations and Denials as some are, especially given how long it took to craft (3 yrs) and the resources they have at their disposal. That is not so much a slight on the authors of the documents as it is praise for Reformed divines from previous eras who framed such beautiful and precise statements regarding our Lord Jesus Christ - statements that are, I think, hard to improve upon."

I just finished reading it and concur with the section you posted. Mark Jones captured my first reaction to the Statement well with this, also from the conclusion:

I remain persuaded that the church, not parachurch organizations, should be commissioned with producing Creeds, because only then will the Creed(s) produced have any binding authority on those who solemnly vow to confess the Creed(s). It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of my Presbyterian brothers feel much the same.

Ligonier and RC were an important part of my reformed education and I regard them highly. But I'm uneasy with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back