Liturgical calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonah

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi,
Could anyone recommend any puritan writing on liturgical calendar?
Thank you

Probably lots to suggest. These come to mind.
John Owen Concerning Liturgies. Discourse Concerning Liturgies, and their Imposition - Christian Classics Ethereal Library
William Ames, A fresh suit against human ceremonies in God's vvorship. Or a triplication unto. D. Burgesse his rejoinder for D. Morton The first part., Also Google Books.
Samuel Rutherford, Divine Right of church-government and excommunication: or a peacable dispute for the perfection of the holy scripture in point of ceremonies and church government, http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=eebo;idno=A92138.0001.001, also GB.
As Ben noted, the most famous and of the most historical significance to Presbyterians is George Gillespie's, Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies. See PRDL listings for online old editions. A new crtical edition published in 2013 is available from Naphtali Press for 29.95 post paid (USA). Naphtali Press » Blog Archive » ###George Gillespie: A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies
Gillespie has a short tract published first in 1638 against liturgies. Reasons For Which the Service Book Urged Upon Scotland Ought to be Refused (1638). This is printed in his Anonymous Writings. This is available on the Naphtali Press print on demand back list of old titles shop. Naphtali Press's Books and Publications Spotlight

Thank you. I've asked this question because I am attending a URCNA church now. They honor Liturgical calendar, to some extent. My denominational background is OPC, and it is more than just OPC - I've come to accept and believe many of their teachings. So no I have a bit of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back