Looking at B.S. programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Scibbe

Puritan Board Junior
I am looking at going to school in 2012 and I am going to pursue a bachelors in Biblical studies. I have a few schools I would like to attend and they are (in order of preference:

1- Cedarville University (Cedarville Ohio)
2/3 Moody Bible (Chicago) Boyce College (Louisville KY)
4 Trinity International University (Deerfield, IL)

I would love some input from you guys on these and perhaps some others if you can.
 
I attended TIU, I don't recommend it. It is becoming more liberal each year. It isn't very academically challenging either.

I guess to help you more, I should ask what career are you pursuing?

Personally, no matter what you want to do, I would not choose any of those schools. When you reveal your desired occupation, I will be better able to communicate to you why I would not recommend them.


EDIT: I should add that at TIU I majored in Biblical Studies.
 
Last edited:
All I can tell you about those schools is that Cedarville was in our athletic conference and when we played there the fans were by far the worst behaved of any of the other schools in our conference.
 
As said by others, it depends on what your goals are and so on. But I know there are some good faculty in the biblical studies department at Cedarville. One of my profs from college moved to Cedarville after I graduated, and he's got a couple of books coming out with P&R soon. If you're interested in the school and the Biblical Studies department, I can give you his email, and he might have a little perspective on the department.

As to anything else about Cedarville, I have no idea. Moody will give you a basically Calvinistic dispensational perspective. I have no idea about Boyce or TIU.
 
I'm half way through a B.S. in Biblical Studies at Moody Bible Institute (Distance Learning) right now. I really enjoy it! If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them.
 
Isn't Moody a Dispensational school?

I do not know about the others.

If money is not an issue look into Covenant College. I hear good things regarding this school, and Geneva College. Do not know much about GC other than they are reformed and look to be decent from the outside at least.
 
SBC ordination can be as simple as "do you love Jesus and are you called to be a minister (it was for me at least)?"

Also is there a reason why you have chosen a BS in Biblical Studies? I have an undergrad in BS and have found the degree basically useless. It did not help me any for seminary really. Most seminary classes are not catered to those with an undergrad in religion. They cater to those who do not have an undergrad in religion.
 
Quatchu,

I agree. I have a BA in Biblical Studies and it really got me nowhere as well. The one great benefit is that I learned Greek before I entered seminary. I learned so much more about the actual Bible and ministry in seminary compared to the surface level Bible 'lessons' from college. In fact, in college I learned more from personal study of Scripture with my friends than I did from professors. The times of personal study are why I am reformed today, I read and studied Scripture...and read theology I was told not to.

Looking back (especially with SCHOOL LOANS from private college education looming) I would have much rather gone to a state school, got a degree in history/philosophy/languages then gone off to seminary to be trained.
 
Have you considered Bob Jones University in Greenville, South Carolina? I know that the school's reputation far exceeds anything concerning the schools academics competitiveness, spiritual emphasis or conservative stance Biblically and Politically but it would be well worth looking into.

Bob Jones University

As far as Cedarville is concerned, I have a friend who went there and he was pretty sure that his Bible teachers were not saved. I would definitely not call it a Christian school anymore than I would call Furman a Christian school.
 
As far as Cedarville is concerned, I have a friend who went there and he was pretty sure that his Bible teachers were not saved. I would definitely not call it a Christian school anymore than I would call Furman a Christian school.

I do not think that is a fair or correct assessment.
 
I am looking at going to school in 2012 and I am going to pursue a bachelors in Biblical studies. I have a few schools I would like to attend and they are (in order of preference:

1- Cedarville University (Cedarville Ohio)
2/3 Moody Bible (Chicago) Boyce College (Louisville KY)
4 Trinity International University (Deerfield, IL)

I would love some input from you guys on these and perhaps some others if you can.

As someone who reviews a lot of seminary applications, I can tell you that our best prepared students in Biblical Studies come from the following (in no particular order):

Geneva College (Beaver Falls, PA)
Grove City College (Grove City, PA)
Covenant College (Lookout Mountain, GA)
Providence Christian College (Pasadena, CA)

They are all conservative Reformed schools as well.
 
Joseph -

Here's my recommendation. Find a good state school with a solid Classics department. Study logic, rhetoric, philosophy, history, Greek, Latin, and whatever else you can. Most Classics departments are broad enough to let you entertain your interests. Then you'll learn how to think and write and you'll have a broad base from which you can do graduate studies in a whole host of areas of your choice.

Please consider it.
 
Covenant has an excellent department of biblical studies (exceptions to the Westminster Standards there are about as stringent as those for the PB) as well as a solid philosophy department (speaking as a philosophy student, though currently abroad). I would also concur that training in liberal arts will give you a broader perspective going into seminary, plus there's always the possibility of minoring or double-majoring.

I realize that Covenant's a bit on the pricey side, but it's worth every penny.
 
Joseph -

Here's my recommendation. Find a good state school with a solid Classics department. Study logic, rhetoric, philosophy, history, Greek, Latin, and whatever else you can. Most Classics departments are broad enough to let you entertain your interests. Then you'll learn how to think and write and you'll have a broad base from which you can do graduate studies in a whole host of areas of your choice.

Please consider it.


I can't argue with this either ^^
 
I also must chime in to recommend another course of pre-seminary studies. I majored in Religious Studies for my B.A. You would be much better served by obtaining a broad education in the humanities or acquiring a specific set of skills to serve you in "tent-making." Do this while reading your Bible inside and out, along with a good copy of the Westminster Standards and/or the Three Forms of Unity. Commit to memorizing a catechism during college.

...oh, and choose your college with a local church in mind. Don't make this an afterthought, but make it a priority in your decision.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top