Looking for help with Habakkuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd.morrison

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hey Guys,

I am teaching a class on Habakkuk and was wondering if you had any advice or comments or more specifically any resources you would recommend to a brother to use for study?

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving! :D

I second the whit of Chaplainintraining. Habakkuk is one hard book. However, there have been some good scholarly commentaries written on the book.

F.I. Anderson has a commentary published by Doubleday. However, Longman lists this commentary as very technical. I don't know how in-depth you want to go.

Also, O.P. Robertson has written a commentary on this book for the New International Commentary on the Old Testament series. According to Longman, this commentary is much more theological and practical.

Also, when it comes to where to start on research for particular books of the Bible, I have found Tremper Longman's book Old Testament Commentary Survey to be an invaluable resource. He goes through, and lists each of the best commentaries on the market for every book of the Hebrew Bible, and how conservative or liberal they are, as well as their difficulty level.

Good Luck!

God Bless,
Adam

If you read John Calvin, Matthew Poole, Keil & Delitzsch, George Hutcheson, Matthew Henry and F.F. Bruce (in The Minor Prophets, ed. Thomas McComiskey) that should get you started.

Some good non technical commentaries are

Habakkuk Walter J. Chantry, Banner of Truth

Habakkuk: An Expositional Commentary Tim Shenton Day One

Expectant Prophet John Currrid Evangelical Press

Hope that helps:book2:

Habakkuk is a rich and helpful book. It is one of my favorite books of the Bible. Robertson is good, and so is McComiskey. Lloyd Jones little book is good as well.

Wow...all the major good ones have already been mentioned! At my previous church, we went through Habakkuk, and Robertson's book was the main commentary used.

Expectant Prophet by John Currid is another one I remembered. I haven't read it, but the Welwyn Commentaries are very good as a whole! We've had a number of them on our church book table.

I really like Habakkuk as well, and while I know already that it is a hard book to do it is one that is oft avoided because it is difficult. I have already dove headlong into it and did a class on the background of the type of cultural climate Habakkuk grew up in and lived in. So I spent the majority of the time on Hab. 1:2-4 and then examining the last several chapters of 2nd Kings starting with Manassah on...

Thanks for all the useful information...

Martyn Lloyd-Jones From Fear to Faith
Martin Goldsmith Habbakkuk and Joel

Don't know if either is in print but well worth it especially Lloyd-Jones.

Oh, I thought when Martin L. Jones was mentioned they meant "The Just Shall Live By Faith" ... that's the one I know.

Oh, I thought when Martin L. Jones was mentioned they meant "The Just Shall Live By Faith" ... that's the one I know.

The Just Shall Live by Faith is chapter 4 (of 6) of the book. It would seem it is no longer in print and when I went onto Amazon I found 1 new and used from £124.95. I know anything Lloyd-Jones wrote is worth its weight in gold but as the book only has 72 pages this does seem a wee bit expensive.

Both Sproul and my former pastor, Paul Viggiano, preached (briefly) from Habakkuk after 9/11. (I suspect they were not the only ones.)

The late Rev. Charles Dennison (former OPC historian) did a series of sermons on Habakkuk and I find his exegesis to be superb. You can download the audio from HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back