Luke 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mere housewife

Not your cup of tea
I have been listening to Luke in the car, driving Ruben to and from work -- I thought of the series of events that came on Joseph and Mary, related so simply that it is easy to overlook how overwhelming and discouraging and relentless it must have seemed to them. Just as Mary is nine months pregnant, they must make this journey: a trip that would not have been at all easy for her, as trips can be made now with comfortable vehicles. And this was for the purpose of registration by an unrighteous, idolatrous government who had ordered this tremendous inconvenience at this particular time the better to be able to tax them: how galling that may have been, on a number of levels (I was reading of how Josephus cites this census as related to an uprising by another Galilean, who claimed it was tantamount to slavery). Joseph and Mary don’t seem to have been particularly well to do, particularly well able to provide for a journey or an increase in taxes. And when they arrived, they could not find human shelter and had to seek it with animals. And at this point, Mary goes into labor -- perhaps brought on by the stress and arduousness of these circumstances.

Yet what is happening is the fulfillment of the word of the Lord in their lives, and the coming of Christ into their circumstances. The man who rebelled in Galilee did not deliver his people. Mary was bringing forth the world’s deliverer.

It was an encouragement to me to think on this. Perhaps all the piled up events in our own lives, which seem unjust or inexplicable, where God seems to be just crowning the last hardship with the kicker, are part of the word of God being fulfilled in us, and Christ coming to us, being formed in our lives.

I know what you mean. In the past when things would happen to me I would think "your kidding me, what next?". That still flashes through my mind now and then when things happen but it is now followed by moments of contemplation as well. It often amazes me how God, Jesus, the King, Creator of all that is and was and is to come, came down to such humble, humble levels to save us! And still does daily! Psalm 8 v 4

That's providence for ya! Great application, it is very true, God's plan at times may seem very trying, even to the point that we don't see the good in it, but it is for the good of those who love Him and for His glory.
I would think "your kidding me
Yep been there over and over again and expect it to happen many more times, but trial produce patience, which produces character, which produces hope which does not disappoint.
Sometimes hard to see the forest through the trees.

There are other examples also, like Israel being led out of Egypt into a situation where they were trapped between the sea and the Egyptian army. They just wanted to get away. God had something bigger in mind.

Mary what an apt association -- what God had in mind was dwelling with His people. I love the way Exodus starts with them settled in bondage, and ends with them wandering in a wilderness but 'at home' with God. Psalm 8:4 is also a very beautiful connection.

Peter, I have been rereading a favorite book by Thomas Goodwin: Patience and its Perfect Work. He speaks of patience as the perfecting of Christian character, and points us to Christ's exercise of patience. Patience is a special way in which Christ is formed in us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back