Manton quote assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

fralo4truth

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi brethren,

I'm currently going through some of the works of the great men of the past looking for those who carefully scrutinized the work of regeneration, subdividing it into an initial act of God without gospel instrumentality in the giving of life, followed, in the second act, logically by the drawing out of that life by the gospel.

In his commentary on James, he has this to say when addressing v.18 in which it is declared that 'Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth'.

"The same metaphor is elsewhere used, "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth for ever" (1 Peter 1:23): so, "Begotten to a lively hope" (1 Peter 1:3). I have brought these two places to show you the two parts in the work of grace: the one is qua regeneramur by which we are begotten; the other qua renascimur, by which we are born again. The one is God's act purely, the other implieth the manifestation of life in ourselves: a distinction that serveth to clear some controversies in religion.

Manton he seems to be treating regeneration as composed of two parts:

1) begotten , or qua regeneramur.
2) born again, or qua renascimur.

Am I right in my understanding of the Puritan here? Is he making a distinction between begotten and born again? I have seen similar such distinctions in the writings of such men as Pink, Shedd, and Berkhof, perhaps using different terminology though. It looks like they are attempting to draw a deep analogy between the spiritual birth with that of the natural, in which there is a divine begetting unto life to be followed by a deliverance aspect.

Also, how many of you here make such a distinction yourself?

Really looking forward to your thoughts.

Kevin.

I am not sure what words you have been seeing and in what particular context but it seems unlikely that a Reformed theologian would confuse regeneration and renewal. Here are the operative words in English, Latin and Greek:

Regeneramur - are regenerated -παλιγγενισι

Renascimur - are again born - γεννηθη ανωθεν

Renovata – renewed - ἀνακανοω

Titus 3:5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration παλιγγενισια and renewing ανακαινωσις of the Holy Spirit,

Trench commenting on this verse says “having been already made subjects of the παλιγγενισια may daily be renewed by the Holy Spirit, may continually know the ανακαινωσις Πνευματος Ἁγιου… the new-birth is contemplated as already past, as having found place once for all, while the ‘renewal’ or ‘renovation’ is daily proceeding …

In Manton's words he seems to be making a distinction between being begotten and born again in the statement I have highlighted in bold. That's mainly what I'm questioning.

I certainly don't think he is confusing regeneration with the progressive life which follows.

Hi brethren,

I'm currently going through some of the works of the great men of the past looking for those who carefully scrutinized the work of regeneration, subdividing it into an initial act of God without gospel instrumentality in the giving of life, followed, in the second act, logically by the drawing out of that life by the gospel.

In his commentary on James, he has this to say when addressing v.18 in which it is declared that 'Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth'.

"The same metaphor is elsewhere used, "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth for ever" (1 Peter 1:23): so, "Begotten to a lively hope" (1 Peter 1:3). I have brought these two places to show you the two parts in the work of grace: the one is qua regeneramur by which we are begotten; the other qua renascimur, by which we are born again. The one is God's act purely, the other implieth the manifestation of life in ourselves: a distinction that serveth to clear some controversies in religion.

Manton he seems to be treating regeneration as composed of two parts:

1) begotten , or qua regeneramur.
2) born again, or qua renascimur.

Kevin.

Kevin, I do not see how Manton can speak of regeneration being of two parts. Both regeneramur and renascimur refer to the same event; the new birth which is the παλιγγενισι or γεννηθη ανωθεν in the New Testament descriptions of our being brought from death to life by the power of the Holy Spirit's work. They are not two pieces but one and the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back