Matthew Henry on Proverbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to read him on that very book right now. I like him a lot. I think he does better on the OT than on the NT. Bridges is also very good, and some of the moderns are worth reading (Waltke and Longman, for instance).

Matthew Henry is quite good. Steven and Rich have posted Henry's topical breakdown from Proverbs before here, which is an excellent resource. And as Lane noted, there are others who have commented and specialized on Proverbs, notably Bridges. I don't know if Robert Blair's commentary on Proverbs is extant, but that's one I would enjoy reading, as well as Michael Cope on Proverbs, if that was available in English. I have Peter Muffet (Tentmaker Publications) and have been enjoying that.

It is a toss up between Matthew Henry and Gary Brady's Welwyn commentary. I think I will go for the former this time round.

A couple of years ago, I spent 4-5 months reading John Gill on Proverbs, it was well worth it. Proverbs is probably my favourite book in the Bible.:book2:

It is a toss up between Matthew Henry and Gary Brady's Welwyn commentary. I think I will go for the former this time round.

A couple of years ago, I spent 4-5 months reading John Gill on Proverbs, it was well worth it. Proverbs is probably my favourite book in the Bible.:book2:

Mine as well, with Ecclesiastes a close 2nd...:amen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back