Matthew Henry Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
The writings of Matthew Henry (1662-1714), English Presbyterian divine, are a treasury to be mined. Here are some of my favorite quotes by him - any others?

On family worship: "The conclusion of every day should put us in mind of the conclusion of all our days."

On women: "(Note) that the woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be loved."

On the Puritans: "It was a common saying among the Puritans, 'Brown bread and the Gospel is good fare.'"

"Hope for the best,
Get ready for the worst,
take whatever God sends"

Matthew Henry

From Experiencing Gods Presence

His quote on Romans 8:37,

"They who went smiling to the stake, and stood singing in the flames, they were more than conquerors."

Matthew Henry understood that thankfulness was not a matter of circumstance. On the night that he was robbed he prayed this prayer –
“I thank Thee first because I was never robbed before; second, because although they took my purse they did not take my life; third, although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed and not I who robbed.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back