It doesn't seem necessary to Clark's argument that someone actually hold these views. An example might possibiliy be given (perhaps one of the more radical neo-orthodox?), but it would do little to his argument. With that aside, does Clark make a valid, Biblical point? That is much more important than whether or not Clark can give an example of someone who holds to these radical views.
Hello Patrick,
Perhaps this will help you out.
You see,
the post I responded to started off this way:
Very often I've read people complain....
See that? Good.
So then, when I asked "who are these people?" an attentive reader should be able to understand that I was referring back to the "people" who supposedly made some complaint.
Furthermore, it does matter because who wants to cheer a guy one who attacks nobodies? I mean, that's real tough. I wouldn't be impressed with someone critiquing a Democritean materialsm and then strutting around like a big shot. Democritus' material was crude and crass. I mean, critique Kim's supervenience version of physicalism or something. You see, when we send apologists out into the world, and they strut around critiquing views no one holds to, or poorly stated representations of views people do hold to, that only serves to embarrass us.
I should also point out the broder context. Civbert is referring to the claims made by Van Til &c that "God's knowledge is not like our knowledge." This critique of Clark's, and its employment by Civbert, is based off sloppy scholarship and poor misunderstandings of their opponents.
Lastly, since there are many ways to use ther verb "to know," then I can't tell you anything about Clark's point and whether it is valid or not. It's sloppy, I can tell you that. It's vague and ambiguous, I can tell you that. On one level, sure, his point is correct. If we're talking about the *object* of knowledge, then God's knowledge and man's is the same. Okay, big deal. No one (esp. Van Til &c) has denied that. Are we talking about the *standard* of knowledge? Sure, it's the same there as well - God is the standard for Himself and us. Are we talking about that *subject* of knowledge? In that case, one knows the proposition 2+2=4 *as Creator* and one knows it *as creature.* In that sense, it's different. So, what sense did Clark mean his argument to be taken?
All in all, I don't bother with Clark. Mostly bad philosophy, straw man or irrelevant man attacks, and his stuff is simply out of touch and not useful for contemporary philosophical and theological issues (and even past issues! But, he does say a few helpful things. I don't want to take everything away from him. But at this point, what he says that his helpful has been said better before and after) . Sure, guys get enamored with him when they first start getting into apologetics and philosophy, but as they progress, they quickly see how sophomoric his works really are. There may be a few "homers" (i..e., home team fans that can never see the wrong in their team) around, but they fade away into obscurity and their small voice doesn't even cause a blip on the hilosophical and theological radar screen.
So, to answer your question, to the extent that he's correct, it's trivial, to the extent that he's wrong, he's just an example of the boy in the story I told above. Either way I don't need to bother with his stuff. I don't need to read trivial points, and I don't need to read guys attacking straw or irrelevant men. I hope that answers your question!
