Micro-Denominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

sastark

Puritan Board Graduate
Hello all,

It's time once again for one of Seth's random threads! This time around I am asking for Micro-Denominations. I'm not going to define Micro-denomination other than to say, I'm looking for Reformed denominations that are small. I'll leave the definition of "small" up to you all. Here is my list so far (in no particular order):

[b:c07c15830e]American Presbyterian Church[/b:c07c15830e] (3 churches)
http://www.americanpresbyterianchurch.org/

[b:c07c15830e]American Reformation Presbyterian Church[/b:c07c15830e] (I believe that the First Presbyterian Church of Rowlett, TX is in this group, though I could find no list of churches on the website)

[b:c07c15830e]Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church[/b:c07c15830e] (5 churches)
http://www.covref.org

[b:c07c15830e]Covenanting Association of Reformed and Presbyterian Churches[/b:c07c15830e] (3 churches)
http://www.gpcredding.org/new_home.html

[b:c07c15830e]Free Presbyterian Church[/b:c07c15830e] (21 churches)
http://www.christianobserver.org/Church Directories/freepres.htm

[b:c07c15830e]Free Reformed Churces of North America[/b:c07c15830e] (19 churches)
http://www.frcna.org

[b:c07c15830e]Heritage Netherlands Reformed Congregations[/b:c07c15830e] (13 churches)
http://www.hnrc.org

[b:c07c15830e]Presbyterian Reformed Church[/b:c07c15830e] (8 churches)
http://www.presbyterianreformed.org/

[b:c07c15830e]Reformed Presbyterian Church Hanover Presbytery[/b:c07c15830e] (5 churches)
http://www.rpchurch.org/polity.htm

[b:c07c15830e]Reformed Presbyterian Church, General Assembly[/b:c07c15830e] (12 churches)
http://www.rpcga.org/

[b:c07c15830e]Reformed Presbyterian Church in the United States[/b:c07c15830e] (9 churches)
http://www.rpcus.com

Ok, so who can add to this list?

Seth,

You'll find more current information on the Free Presbyterian church at
www.freepres.org

I noticed that the information from the Christian Observer site is a little behind the times. There are 24 churches now, for instance.

[quote:c479cd6dfe][i:c479cd6dfe]Originally posted by py3ak[/i:c479cd6dfe]
Seth,

You'll find more current information on the Free Presbyterian church at
www.freepres.org

I noticed that the information from the Christian Observer site is a little behind the times. There are 24 churches now, for instance. [/quote:c479cd6dfe]

Thank you!

[quote:37eae21c9c][i:37eae21c9c]Originally posted by jtm430[/i:37eae21c9c]
I used to live in Rowlett. It's about 20 miles east of Dallas. I'm not familiar with this church. I might just have to go check them out some time. Here's the ARPC statment on their website : http://www.fpcr.org/ARPCNEWS/1994statement.htm [/quote:37eae21c9c]

Hi Jeffrey,

Yes, I saw that statement. I could find any "Directory of churches" or list of the churches in the ARPC, though. Maybe if you go visit that church, they would be able to tell you more about it.

Thanks for the info!

[quote:db6f426c46][i:db6f426c46]Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot[/i:db6f426c46]
I used to be a member of the Rowlett church. There are no other churches in this denomination. I do not recommend it. [/quote:db6f426c46]

No other churches? That's odd.

I noticed on their website that a "Dallas Presbytery" has been formed (see http://www.fpcr.org/ARPCNEWS/05312002news.htm). How can they do that with only one church?

Also, why would you not recommend this church? Just because of the "denomination" it is in? I ask because I know nothing about it. Thanks!

The ARPC consists of one church in Rowlett, TX and one mission work in Princeton, TX, to the best of my knowledge. The "presbytery" consists of the Rowlett church's session. The ARPC has a "sister" presbytery in Maynmar as well. That's it.

Although this church/"denomination" claims to be Presbyterian and their website does in fact contains much Biblical literature that is commendable, nevertheless, it is far from Biblical in its church government and there are other graves areas of concern as well.

If you wish to speak further about this, we can do so outside of this forum.

The micro denomination really fall into three categories. Some, like the Free Presbyterian Church, the Free Church of Scotland, and the Free Reformed Church are related to denominations in Scotland or the Netherlands. Others are the result of schisms like the Heritage Netherlands Reformed Congregations. [You did not list the other Netherlands Reformed Congregations denomination from which they parted company. I doubt that they are larger then the Heritage group.] Still others are startups, usually independant Churches coming togather to form new Presbyteries.

Not mentioned were the several Bible Presbyterian Church denominations.

What about the CRE (Confederation of Reformed Evangelicals)? Doug Wilson, Randy Booth, and Jeff Neill all pastor churches in this denomination. The church I attended in Lynchburg, Providence Church, is also CRE. The denomination is very small and only a few years old.

[quote:a4f3921124][i:a4f3921124]Originally posted by luvroftheWord[/i:a4f3921124]
What about the CRE (Confederation of Reformed Evangelicals)? Doug Wilson, Randy Booth, and Jeff Neill all pastor churches in this denomination. The church I attended in Lynchburg, Providence Church, is also CRE. The denomination is very small and only a few years old. [/quote:a4f3921124]

Craig,

Yes, I suppose the CRE would qualify, wouldn't it? The only reason I didn't list them is because they let baptist churches join (if I remember correctly - correct me if I'm wrong).

[quote:f9e6291c72][i:f9e6291c72]Originally posted by yeutter[/i:f9e6291c72]
The micro denomination really fall into three categories. Some, like the Free Presbyterian Church, the Free Church of Scotland, and the Free Reformed Church are related to denominations in Scotland or the Netherlands. Others are the result of schisms like the Heritage Netherlands Reformed Congregations. [You did not list the other Netherlands Reformed Congregations denomination from which they parted company. I doubt that they are larger then the Heritage group.] Still others are startups, usually independant Churches coming togather to form new Presbyteries.

Not mentioned were the several Bible Presbyterian Church denominations. [/quote:f9e6291c72]

Thomas,

I think you are correct with your "three types of microdenominations". I didn't include the Netherlands Reformed Congregations because I didn't know about them. Do you have a website for them?

Thanks for reminding me about the Bible Presbyterian Church. I know of the BPC, but are there other denominations which have splintered off from it?

[quote:713e199f1d][i:713e199f1d]Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot[/i:713e199f1d]
The ARPC consists of one church in Rowlett, TX and one mission work in Princeton, TX, to the best of my knowledge. The "presbytery" consists of the Rowlett church's session. The ARPC has a "sister" presbytery in Maynmar as well. That's it.

Although this church/"denomination" claims to be Presbyterian and their website does in fact contains much Biblical literature that is commendable, nevertheless, it is far from Biblical in its church government and there are other graves areas of concern as well.

If you wish to speak further about this, we can do so outside of this forum. [/quote:713e199f1d]

Andrew,

I sent you a U2U.

[quote:48157b813b][i:48157b813b]Originally posted by sastark[/i:48157b813b]
[quote:48157b813b][i:48157b813b]Originally posted by yeutter[/i:48157b813b]

Not mentioned were the several Bible Presbyterian Church denominations. [/quote:48157b813b]

Thomas,

I think you are correct with your "three types of microdenominations". I didn't include the Netherlands Reformed Congregations because I didn't know about them. Do you have a website for them?

Thanks for reminding me about the Bible Presbyterian Church. I know of the BPC, but are there other denominations which have splintered off from it? [/quote:48157b813b]

I don't think the BPC qualifies as a micro-denomination. They have more than a few churches. The American Presbyterian Church is a split off from the BPC, I think.

You are correct. The Bible Presbyterian Church seems to now be one denomination. The two congregations that I knew of that were outside of the denomination are independant not a new/another denomination

The Orthodox Christian Reformed Church website seems to be out dated. I think one of those congregations is now in the United Reformed Church and the Wingham Ontario Congregation is now Protestant Reformed.

Andrew,

Yes, I know some of what happened. My father is a pastor in the Covenanting Association of Reformed and Presbyterian Churches, which is one of the groups that was invited to attend.

Because I do not want to be accused of slandering anyone, and because I do not want to be accussed of spreading gossip, I will simply say that a formation of a "larger" micro-denomination, for now, has been put off.

There is still the possibility of some sort of larger association of churches, but there are certain issues (or at least a certain issue) that hindered that from happening at this particular meeting.

If you want to talk about this more, please feel free to e-mail me ([email protected]).

That is what concerns me when people wish / say that the USA is a Christian nation.

Do we all have to paedo / credo
Take up offering in service / leave as you exit
Old style hymns / newer music with same words

Would we be Methoterianaptists?

Originally posted by govols
That is what concerns me when people wish / say that the USA is a Christian nation.

Do we all have to paedo / credo
Take up offering in service / leave as you exit
Old style hymns / newer music with same words

Would we be Methoterianaptists?

Huh?

John, those who wish for a "Christian nation" - I assume you're referring to Theonomists - clearly define the distinction between the roles of government and church. It would not be the role of government under such a society to decide or enforce doctrinal differences such as those.

It seems to me that John's question came out of the issue of the numerous quantity of divisions and micro-denominations. Since there are so many micro-denominations claiming Christianity and so many differences, how would we ever decide what to impose if America was a Christian nation? It seemed to be a question about another issue (a theonomic nation) that was raised from, and related to, the issue of micro-denominations and numerous distinctions within the church. Am I reading what you meant correctly, John?

Sorry,

Sometimes it is better to think to yourself and not with your fingers.

I've gotten into the pre candy sale at the store and I am ready to type a novel that no one will want to buy.

What are some of the differences with PCAs listed above?

A lot of differences in Southern Baptists is whether to have Cole Slaw or Corn on the Cob at the pot luck lunch after church.

Are we a Christian nation / were we a Christian nation?

Does it depend on eschatology on the answer.

[Edited on 26-10-2004 by govols]

Originally posted by Me Died Blue
It seems to me that John's question came out of the issue of the numerous quantity of divisions and micro-denominations. Since there are so many micro-denominations claiming Christianity and so many differences, how would we ever decide what to impose if America was a Christian nation? It seemed to be a question about another issue (a theonomic nation) that was raised from, and related to, the issue of micro-denominations and numerous distinctions within the church. Am I reading what you meant correctly, John?

You're smater than the average bear and you can also type faster and have a faster connection but, alas, I am older and full of sugar.

:banana:

Some of the major points of diversity and disagreement among Godly, Reformed Presbyterians these days seem to be lapsarianism, apologetics, exclusive psalmody, theonomy and eschatology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back