Modern Hebrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
How much does Modern Hebrew relate to Biblical Hebrew? I am considering studying Modern Hebrew at a public university (for at least 2 semesters) to meet a non-European language requirement for my major. I want to know if this could be the foundation for studying (most of) the Old testament in its original tongue. From what I understand of Hebrew's history, the two should be closely related (after all, modern Hebrew is quite young!), but I would like some input from those who have studied the language.

:book2:

The one advantage is that if you do so, you will be able to read Hebrew without vowel points from what I was told from my Professor. He took Biblical Hebrew, then studied Hebrew in Israel for 6 months.

Perhaps this article will be of some use?

Dear Jake

You will be able to read ancient Hebrew with a knowledge of Ivrit. Ivrit is however based on Rabbinic Hebrew which was influenced strongly by Aramaic. Furthermore it consists of a lot of Arabic loanwords. I think ancient Hebrew has some word forms that you won't get in Ivrit. Ivrit could be called a creole of ancient Hebrew, which means that while related, it is simplified.

I was able to learn Ivrit after studying Rabbinic Hebrew as a step away from Biblical Hebrew. Unfortunately, I haven't kept up my Ivrit, but I do read the Old Testament in Hebrew and Aramaic.

Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back