Music During Fellowship Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ndr3w

Puritan Board Freshman
After each service, our church has a fellowship meal (except Wednesday night) because many of our members come from distant places. I was considering playing praise and worship music as background music during fellowship but do not want to turn it into entertainment for obvious reasons. What are your thoughts on this?
 
That is a hard one because unless you are actually worshipping with the praise and worship songs in the background then it really is just entertainment. I might have read it wrong but it sounds like when you say 'background music' you mean something that people are not paying 100% attention to.

It depends on how staunchly you are against the 'entertainment' aspect.
 
It seems to me that you and others may be best served by making use of the time for fellowship rather than music. That's just my two cents worth.
 
I'm not sure I understand the problem here. This is not a worship service is it? Is some music somehow "too holy" to be used outside a worship service?
 
[quote:37b77ecfd1="fredtgreco"]I'm not sure I understand the problem here. This is not a worship service is it? Is some music somehow "too holy" to be used outside a worship service?[/quote:37b77ecfd1]

Ah, Fred, I was hoping to run into you and Pastor Way. Thanks for responding. No, this is not a worship service but following the service.

The last thing I want is to make entertainment out of worship and praise music. I would like to encourage personal worship for those not engaged in conversation and to help familiarize people with new praise and worship songs but I'm thinking now that it is not a good idea no matter how well intended. I would love to have everyone with the Words of God and these worship and praise songs (Biblically based songs) written upon their hearts so that they may get their head of the hymnal long enough to focus on the worship of God. I thought familiarization might help but it may also bring about taking these precious songs and words for granted.
 
Andrew,

What would be wrong with having music that is focused upon God in the background for others to pick up by osmosis? Would it be a bad thing if I played a Psalms CD while some seminary couple friends came over this evening?

I don't think so. I think it is a good thing to get godly music in the warp and woof of people.
 
[quote:239c55db15="fredtgreco"]Andrew,

What would be wrong with having music that is focused upon God in the background for others to pick up by osmosis? Would it be a bad thing if I played a Psalms CD while some seminary couple friends came over this evening?

I don't think so. I think it is a good thing to get godly music in the warp and woof of people.[/quote:239c55db15]

Ah, I may have misunderstood the original question. I thought the issue involved sitting around playing a musical instrument like a guitar or something while everyone else was fellowshipping. I thought it meant the person playing the music was removing themselves from fellowship. If we are talking about playing a psalm CD in the background while fellowship is going on, then of course I have no problem with that. That's always edifying. My apologies if my two cents worth was not worth two cents!
 
[quote:ce3726a149="fredtgreco"]Andrew,

What would be wrong with having music that is focused upon God in the background for others to pick up by osmosis? Would it be a bad thing if I played a Psalms CD while some seminary couple friends came over this evening?

I don't think so. I think it is a good thing to get godly music in the warp and woof of people.[/quote:ce3726a149]


Thanks for your input. I am very cautious after coming out of a church where some made worship merely entertainment. As long as they would walk away with a good feeling, they were happy. Now they are studying the [u:ce3726a149]Purpose Driven Life[/u:ce3726a149]. Interestingly enough the first devotion I received via email was "It's not about you!"... the second devotion pointed out that God makes it about us. Is that a Kerryism? :think:

VirginiaHuguenot,
Thanks also for your input. No need to apologize.
 
[quote:35b86270de="fredtgreco"]Andrew,

What would be wrong with having music that is focused upon God in the background for others to pick up by osmosis? Would it be a bad thing if I played a Psalms CD while some seminary couple friends came over this evening?

I don't think so. I think it is a good thing to get godly music in the warp and woof of people.[/quote:35b86270de]I must agree - My first reply was based on the apparant assumption in the question that worship and praise songs for entertainment were wrong.
 
We usually play the Charlie Daniel's Band since we are in Georgia. Censored version only.

:bs2:
 
[quote:60176262eb="govols"]We usually play the Charlie Daniel's Band since we are in Georgia. Censored version only.

:bs2:[/quote:60176262eb]

I second that...actually no, I have never been in a church where Charlie was played, alhtough it would have easily bettered some happy-clappy music going on. Legend has it that the censored version came out after he was converted.
 
[quote:dcb65548c8]I second that...actually no, I have never been in a church where Charlie was played[/quote:dcb65548c8]

Actually me either but why does the devil just want to come to Georgia?
 
Was Charlie Daniels converted? Is there a censored version? What's missing/different? Am I likely hear the sensored or the original version on a country music station?
 
He sings something other than "son of a gun".

I have heard that he was converted but to what I don't know.
 
He was converted (I give him the benefit of the doubt); he sings somethind different than son of a bad word. He is now a militant republican (I am not implying that Republican = regeneration) and does testify of the Lord.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top