Need book recommendations on Christology

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fountain of Life, by John Favel teaches the major doctrines in an experimental and practical way

Flavel's is probably the only thing I've read that would remotely qualify as Christological. A study of the ecumenical creeds would be profitable, and of course the reformed creeds. Again, I really enjoyed the Fountain of Life as at the end of every chapter Flavel would delve into the application of all the blessed truths of christs person and offices.

Originally posted by Slippery
thanks Chris, I'm now on Volume 1. Books came Wednesday.

Mine were waiting for me at the door when I got home from work last night (thanks to your post on the CBD deal).

:book2:

You know you don't have to read them in order.

:)

The Person of Christ by Donald Macleod, in the Contours of Christian Theology series

Originally posted by Rich Barcellos
John Owen, Volume I.

Oh yeah! :banana:

I can't think of anything "better."

Others:

The Self-Disclosure of Jesus, by Vos

Jesus: Divine Messiah , By Robert L. Reymond

Sermons on the Deity of Christ, by John Calvin

Looking Unto Jesus, Isaac Ambrose

Christ all in all, Ralph Robinson

[Edited on 1-7-2006 by C. Matthew McMahon]

I read Owen in 1992. I thumbed through it today noticing all the exclamation marks I made back then. It was very helpful.

Gerrit C. Berkouwer, The Person of Christ and The Work of Christ

Loraine Boettner, The Person of Christ

R.V. Seller, The Council of Chalcedon: A Historical and Doctrinal Survey

Richard Daniels : The Christology of John owen
http://www.heritagebooks.org/browse.asp?fname=Richard&lname=Daniels

Notes/Description:
The Puritans are often accused of being weak on Christology. In this revision of his doctoral dissertation for Westminster Theological Seminary, Richard Daniels shows how wrong that assessment is. He plumbs the depths of John Owen´s views on Christ, covering His person, natures, offices, and states. Dr. Daniels also relates how Owen taught that believers can have personal communion with Christ. This is a masterful work that will be deeply appreciated by readers who love both the Puritans and their theology.

[Edited on 1-7-2006 by Mayflower]

[Edited on 1-7-2006 by Mayflower]

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

ditto! LOVE Boettner's writings!! :book2:

Originally posted by bond-servant

Yes, but I would not recommend Berkouwer. He is an entry point into neo-orthodoxy.

Originally posted by fredtgreco
Originally posted by bond-servant

Yes, but I would not recommend Berkouwer. He is an entry point into neo-orthodoxy.

Joel Beeke has this to say about Berkouwers works on the person of Christ:

Berkouwer's volumes discuss the historical pronouncements of the ecumenical councils and the Reformed confessions as well as the nature, unity and sinlessness of Christ. They provide an in-depth discussion of Christ's work in the states of humiliation and exaltation. While Berkouwer is fully abreast of current theological literature, he is too often influenced by it, and takes a position too moderate or vague on many issues. The value of Berkouwer lies in his grasp of Reformed thinkers and presentation of issues in theology. He asks and begins to answer some of the most difficult questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back