Need Some Good Commentaries on the Epistle to the Hebrews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archlute

Puritan Board Senior
I will be preaching on Hebrews 4:14-5:11 (which joys my soul) in our Sacred Communications lab in a few weeks, and will need to order some commentaries ASAP. My Carson handbook is back home, and I since I have not preached on that particular epistle to this point in my ministry the only commentaries I have on it are Lane's 2 vol set, along with the little work by Hywel Jones.

Recommendations for adding works of quality and real future usefulness to my library?

Sure, Adam. I would recommend John Owen above all others. There's simply no one else who comes close. I'm fairly certain you can download Owen for free on Google or on EEBO. But P.E. Hughes, Ellingworth, Richard Phillips, and George Guthrie are also excellent and well worth having in your library.

In addition to what Lane mentioned, I think John Brown, John Gill and William Gouge are all worthwhile.

I was asking the same thing three months ago. All I can say is I ended up getting "The Epistle to the Hebrews" by F.F. Bruce and I wouldn't recommend it.

Sure, Adam. I would recommend John Owen above all others. There's simply no one else who comes close. I'm fairly certain you can download Owen for free on Google or on EEBO. But P.E. Hughes, Ellingworth, Richard Phillips, and George Guthrie are also excellent and well worth having in your library.

The great thing is that you can get the Libronix PBB's for Owen free here: Libronix PBB Files | Truth is Still Truth

That way you don't have to send away for a large commentary set.

Pink is a little over-fond of building castles in the air sometimes (and the publisher decided to put violations of the Second Commandment on the cover of the latest edition, which would make old A.W. apoplectic) but he does a good job of distilling the best of the older commentators and putting it in one place. I recommend it.

Pink is a little over-fond of building castles in the air sometimes (and the publisher decided to put violations of the Second Commandment on the cover of the latest edition, which would make old A.W. apoplectic) but he does a good job of distilling the best of the older commentators and putting it in one place. I recommend it.
Pink also is useful for distilling Owen. There are portions where he borrows extensively (even word for word) from Owen.

Adam - how long are they giving you to preach? When I went through we were given a "no more than 15 minute" window. I wouldn't bust the bank on a lone "no more than 15 minute" sermon.

Adam - how long are they giving you to preach? When I went through we were given a "no more than 15 minute" window. I wouldn't bust the bank on a lone "no more than 15 minute" sermon.

Thanks, Ben. I was keeping that in mind. We are preaching twice - once in class, once in a field service. The field service is a complete order of worship with a shortened sermon (to fit attention spans in the field) about 20-25 min. for everything. For the classroom sermon we are actually getting a full 20-30 minutes of just preaching. They are doing a really great job of emphasizing the ministry of the Word. The man leading that section of the course is a PCA chaplain.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

The Teaching of the Epistle to the Hebrews by Geerhardus Vos
Has anyone here read this one?

It was required reading at WSC, and as I remember it was one of his better works. I would be sore pressed to give you an outline of it at this point, however.

Thanks, Ben. I was keeping that in mind. We are preaching twice - once in class, once in a field service. The field service is a complete order of worship with a shortened sermon (to fit attention spans in the field) about 20-25 min. for everything. For the classroom sermon we are actually getting a full 20-30 minutes of just preaching. They are doing a really great job of emphasizing the ministry of the Word. The man leading that section of the course is a PCA chaplain.

That is great news! They're giving you 20-25 minutes of preaching in a field service? That's great! But let me caveat... I've never done (or been a part of) a field service in the real world that lasted longer than 30 minutes from start to finish... and that included prayer, Scripture reading, singing, sermon, and the Lord's Supper.

I'm sorry, Ben, and must clarify what I wrote. The field service is to total 20-25 minutes, including the sermon. When I threw the period on the back of that abbreviation it made it look like I ended the sentence with the duration of the sermon. The sentence actually includes the phrase "for everything" after that.

Maybe next week's Army writing course will take care of my punctuation skills (but I doubt it!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back