Needed: External HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
Any recommendations on an External HD under $100?

Size I am looking for about 1TB. PLEASE HELP!
 
Also check on Amazon. I got my 1TB drive from there not long ago.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Try to find a reputable brand, like Western Digital.
 
I bought this 1TB hard drive last year for around $90 as a backup for my internal drive. It's extremely quiet and reliable.
 
You didn't specify whether you need it in a small 2.5" factor that can be powered by USB or a larger 3.5" version. Price on the former is more expensive.

3.5" External (comes with power cord): Amazon.com: Western Digital WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive: Computer & Accessories
2.5" External (no power cord needed): Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion 1 TB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST910004EXA101-RK: Computer & Accessories

You can see there's a premium on portability as the density of the smaller drives makes them more expensive.
 
I thought I remember Fred Greco or someone saying in the past that Western Digital stuff tended to have problems, burn out, etc.

No?
 
Rich,

It can be either, just whatever is better. That's why you guys are here, tell me what I need!!! :)
 
Try to find a reputable brand, like Western Digital.

I have a Western Digital 1 TB that I bought for around $100 about a year and half ago and use it just for backup. It works great and I have never had any trouble with it.
 
$54.95 per year, or drop $100 today, and never pay a cent for storage again. :)

If you factor in the internet fees and the electrical costs (assuming you can determine how much your computer uses per month), it'll get really expensive, really quickly.
 
If you can snag a LaCie drive in that price range, go for it. Otherwise Western Digital mybook is a safe bet. Seagate vs. WD = Western digital with a very slight advantage in durability and consistency.
 
Wal-Mart.

WD Mybook.

I have a 1TB here for my back up (in addition to my 650 MyBook, 320 Seagate for my wife and ANOTHER 1TB I haven't opened yet, but will soon....).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top