New Book on Christ's Descent into Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyhyde

Puritan Board Sophomore
The Reformation Heritage Books website has the details of a new book, In Defense of the Descent: A Response to Contemporary Critics.

A .pdf sample of the intro and chapter one are available at the link above.

It is now available for pre-order and will be ready to ship April 15th.

Endorsements:
"For creedal and confessional Christians, the clause in the Apostles Creed 'he descended into hell' is important, but sometimes puzzling. Even as intelligent lay folk often struggle to articulate a brief, cogent, accurate reply as to its precise meaning, they may not fully appreciate the history of discussion behind the phrase, or the origins and function of its inclusion in what is probably still, liturgically, the most widely used Creed in the Reformation churches. Daniel Hyde has come to the rescue with a brief, helpful, historical, biblical, and pastoral treatment of this clause, and the crucial theological truth it is designed to propound and protect. I warmly commend it to the Christian reader." —J. Ligon Duncan

“Every pastor knows that sinking feeling when the congregation recites the ‘descent into hell’ clause of the Creed. What do we say to them? Written for laypeople and pastors alike, this slim volume not only gives us a good answer; it offers a terrific summary of broader Christian reflection. Danny Hyde convincingly argues that, far from an idle question, our Lord’s descent into hell is a precious facet of the gospel.” —Michael S. Horton
 
This was apparently THE most debated topic in the Westminster Assembly. I found this out after I was asked about it during my ordination floor exam. I guess I should feel good -- they had to bring out the HARD questions. :D
 
I am completely unfamiliar with this debate other than I know the phrase is in the Apostle's Creed as well as some people's interpretation of 1 Peter 3. What is the reformed understanding? Who were the major adherents to each side? Thanks for the information.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Or I guess I should just buy the book. :D
 
I am completely unfamiliar with this debate other than I know the phrase is in the Apostle's Creed as well as some people's interpretation of 1 Peter 3. What is the reformed understanding? Who were the major adherents to each side? Thanks for the information.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Or I guess I should just buy the book. :D

I'll be nice and give you two Reformed theologians' categorizations:

William Perkins (1558–1602) gave four views of Christ’s descent into hell:
1. It meant He descended to a literal locale.
2. It was a synonym for “buried.”
3. It was a metaphor for Christ’s sufferings.
4. It was a way of speaking of His continuing under the curse of death.

A generation later, Daniel Featley (1582–1645) gave a speech before the Westminster Assembly in which he listed the views mentioned by Perkins in almost identical order, with the exception of the second. Featley mentioned that these views were in contrast to the Roman view of the limbo of the Old Testament fathers (limbus patrum) and purgatory and were valid options for orthodox Reformed theologians on the basis of the Harmony of Confessions (Harmonia Confessionum) published in Geneva in 1581.
1. It could mean Christ descended locally (taught by many ancient fathers, Latimer, Bilson, Andrews, Noel).
2. It could mean Christ descended virtually (taught by William Durandus [1237–1296]).
3. It could mean Christ descended metaphorically (taught by Calvin).
4. It could mean Christ descended metonymically (taught by the Westminster Assembly).
 
I was unable to find the paper on Google, but Chad Van Dixhoorn has done some research on this as well.

Danny, can you give us your thesis as a whetting of the appetite?
 
Chad deals with the debate on the descendit in his PhD thesis on the minutes of the Westminster Assembly.

As far as my book goes, after dealing with contemporary critics of the clause (Grudem, Williams, Otto, Christian Reformed Church Australia), the history of the clause in the ancient church, playing out the six major views of the clause, my thesis is:

The interpretations of the Westminster Standards and the Heidelberg Catechism seem incompatible at first. Yet, we will soon find that these historic confessional documents express the doctrine of Christ’s descent into hell as two sides of one coin. They do not express different Reformed views, but different aspects of the same view. The Reformed view can be stated simply:
As to the body of Jesus Christ, he descended into the state of death,
As to the soul of Jesus Christ, he suffered the agonies of hell.
 
Chad deals with the debate on the descendit in his PhD thesis on the minutes of the Westminster Assembly.

As far as my book goes, after dealing with contemporary critics of the clause (Grudem, Williams, Otto, Christian Reformed Church Australia), the history of the clause in the ancient church, playing out the six major views of the clause, my thesis is:

The interpretations of the Westminster Standards and the Heidelberg Catechism seem incompatible at first. Yet, we will soon find that these historic confessional documents express the doctrine of Christ’s descent into hell as two sides of one coin. They do not express different Reformed views, but different aspects of the same view. The Reformed view can be stated simply:
As to the body of Jesus Christ, he descended into the state of death,
As to the soul of Jesus Christ, he suffered the agonies of hell.

Sounds like a good reformed position.. hey, it's my position too! :)

Two further questions:
1. Do you think that the Reformed position is the natural reading of the Apostle's Creed? If not, are we being isogetic in our interpretation?
2. Do you argue whether or not we should keep the language of the ancient creed since it is confusing to many?

BTW, I am sure I will pick up the book at some time... I like reading this author.
 
Hi Nathan,

1. I argue that the Old Testament and the church fathers support our position, and;
2. The entire premise of the book is that we keep this language in contrast to contemporary critics who say we should get rid of it (e.g., Michael Williams of Covenant Seminary).
 
and a plug for Covenant Radio... We are going to have Danny on the program live, April 29, to discuss the book! Tune in if you can at 3:30 EDT for the broadcast, or catch it on the podcast (subscription info at the CR websites)
 
In the original greek the word is katwtata (the lowest places) so should we even translate this in english as "hell"?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top