New Book Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is \"The Last Disciple\" Hank Hanegraaff\'s book...

being discussed anywhere yet? I'm reading it now.

[Edited on 10/25/2004 by fredtgreco]
 
I wouldn't think you'd get a large number of people from this board who would be reading that book. Most people here are so committed to Reformed Theology and its associated works that they find little time (and inclination) to read something from Hank Hanegraaff. I don't want that to sound harsh; the reason he's not a popular author here is because he is an Arminian and consistently refutes Calvinism, so we have a great difference of opinion with him. Also, his books tend to be VERY basic and superficial.

I personally happen to like Hank. I've met him, and have an autographed "Ressurection" book from him. He served me greatly by helping me to reason my way out of the JW's. I am indebted to him for that.

After you read the book (or during), perhaps you could let us know how its going, and if you would recommend any to pick the book up themselves.
 
From what I've heard, this is Hank's answer to the Left Behind Series from a Partial Preterist perspective. Hank had Steve Gregg of the Four Views of Revelation Commentary the other day answering questions. Gregg is also a partial preterist. (I called and asked.) So with all of this being said, I could see where certain members of this board would read this book.

As a thoughtful aside...
Left Behind, Dispensational fiction is set in the future...
Last Disciple, Partial Preterist book set in the 60's
amillennial fiction...wouldn't that just be a history book covering the last 2000 years? :bigsmile: How would one make fiction about that? I guess in a certain sense any fiction book could be amil.
 
Perhaps the thread I started on this issue could be merged with the thread in the Library forum called 'Is "The Last Disciple" Hank Hanegraaff's book...'
 
Last Disciple

I'm about half way through the book.
I'm reading it because I used to listen to Hank quite a bit--and still do occasionally--and like alot of American Christians had no clue about reformed theology or any alternative to the Pre/Post/Mid tribulation theology that only entails Premill theology (pretty much) that every church I ever attended (untill now) spouts. I think Hank can be a bit of a sign post to popular Christianity in America and my hope and prayers are that as he changes and grows in the Lord he will become more reformed. I know I'm still learning and a ton of the christians I know still resist the truth of the reformed doctrines, but I def. see a move in the right direction. That's why I send them to this site.
The book is interesting in that I think it paints a pretty good picture of the early church and the environment in a dramatic setting. It is written as fiction (intriguing characters, love interests etc.) with assumingly well researched historical background. I don't find the style as far as story telling that appealing, but it is better than the couple of pages I've read out of the left behind series, and not bad. Just rings of the writer's bane of making the message so obviouse it takes away from the story--obviously a book like this is meant to get across a message--which it does--but if done really well it doesn't need to distract from the dramatic story lines.
I def. think it can be an eye opener to the End timers that pretty much forget the time table of every eschatalogical scripture in the bible.
I'm far too much of a amateur in these studies to comment on the theological ramifications of the book, that's why I come to this site. I'm still sorting out which eschatological view point is truth and what prophecies in the bible have not been fulfilled.
With that I'm off to read more posts on the subject.
God Bless.

[Edited on 27-10-2004 by tdowns007]
 
Should this thread be under eschatology? And/or tied to the other one on this book in eschatology?

Just wondering cuz I keep jumping back and forth.
 
Quote from \"Last disciple\"

If you don't know, "The Last Disciple" is a fictional book based around the time before A.D. 70, I'm still reading it, (so many things to read, sometimes it takes me a bit to finish any one) I came across a nice little exchange between two characters that made me laugh. A good jab by the authors at modern day Dispensational preachers I'd say.

They are speaking of John, and his letter, "Revelation" that is floating about the slaves. A Roman is asking a Jew about it.

"...tell me about this John...who wants us to believe an angel brought him to a great revelation and then writes of such horrifying events."

"...Nearly two-thirds of his writings in this letter allude to the writings of our ancient prophets. Ezekiel. Daniel. Isaiah. That shows his education. And because of all his allusions to previous writings, the symbolism will make sense only to one familiar with the Jewish prophecies."

"So I have no chance of understanding it without those reference points."

"Definitely not. You would end up speculating and coming up with ridiculous conjectures....."

:lol: When I read that I had to laugh, thinking of the wild stuff out there today.

TD
 
Better to show than tell, my writing teacher always said. Oh,well, most fiction doesn't do that nowdays. Skillful writing - one more thing Left Behind!:tombstone:
 
show not tell,

Right on the money.
This book is not too bad, I haven't read but five pages of Left Behind, but based on those five pages, I would say that this book is much better as far as writing goes and def. as far as eschat. goes. But the message the authors are pushing is a bit too apparent in the writing. Of course I think it is pretty much written as a informative/narrative, not just a good story.
I'd give a C from a good read stand-point. A (in my layman opinion) in eschatology.
I posted a more detailed critique, but it's on one of the other posts about "The Last Disciple".
 
Originally posted by Draught Horse
Has anybody ever read the Right Behind Series?
Sorry if this question has been asked before.

As in the postmils saying to the premils "I'm right behind ya!"???:D
 
Originally posted by tdowns007

"...tell me about this John...who wants us to believe an angel brought him to a great revelation and then writes of such horrifying events."

"...Nearly two-thirds of his writings in this letter allude to the writings of our ancient prophets. Ezekiel. Daniel. Isaiah. That shows his education. And because of all his allusions to previous writings, the symbolism will make sense only to one familiar with the Jewish prophecies."

"So I have no chance of understanding it without those reference points."

"Definitely not. You would end up speculating and coming up with ridiculous conjectures....."



TD
:bigsmile: We should call him, Hank lowblow Hanegraff
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top