No Electricity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
Remnants from Hurricane Ike hit Louisville last Lord's Day. We lost power at the manse around 1 pm. And we are still w/o power here on Friday. It might be another week before they get us up and running.

On the good and thankful side, the church has power (and it's only a short walk from the manse). We are able to store food and cook here. We also have running water (and hot water at that, since we have a gas water heater). Internet access is a bit sketchy, but obviously I have that right now since I'm posting this.

Things could be much worse, of course. And they could probably be better. I could be wrong, but I suspect much time wasn't wasted making sure the University of Louisville had power (ESPN game last Wed) as well as Valhalla Country Club (the Ryder Cup begins today). Maybe I should take up golf. :lol:

We got our electricity restored yesterday evening after five days without. Yippee!!!

Our house was built with Y2K in mind (remember that?) and performed pretty well with the exception of not having refridgeration. We have a water tank with a 35 gallon draw down capacity - that water was used only for drinking and cooking and lasted the whole time. If that source would have run out we could have lowered buckets into one of the spring water cisterns. We used swimming pool water for utility purposes. The gas range was there for cooking (a wood cookstove for winter use) and we had plenty of kerosene lamps including an Aladdin hanging lamp for light as well as a wind-up radio for classical music.

The wind knocked down a tree which tore our power and phone lines off the house. Chuck was able to run a makeshift cord out to the phone connector so we had phone service part of the time, but we had to wait until the power companies could get around to connecting individual houses.

By the time day 5 rolled around I was sick of the smell of kerosene and more than ready for this particular adventure to end. However, it was a temporary inconvenience at worst and nothing to be compared to the daily nightmare faced by the people in Galveston. I consider ourselves to be very, very blessed.

Oh, BTW - although we lost most of what was in the refridgerator and its freezer, we only lost a few bags of veggies in the upright freezer in the basement - even the ice cubes were still frozen!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back