Nothing to see here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard this before as well.

The two PCA churches I've attended both held Ash Wednesday services, and every PCA church I've ever known has held Christmas and Easter services (though I'm sure there are those that don't). Within the PCA, which I see you are a part of as well, is it not open to individual church bodies to decide whether to hold Ash Wednesday / Christmas / Easter services? If not, isn't it troubling that an apparent majority of our churches are in such open disobedience?

The PCA does not have a directory for public worship; well, 2 or 3 chapters but not addressing this. So the PCA is a freeforall on such things. The PCA should be condemning such things as observance in their churches of Lent and Ash Wednesday services, but as the meme indicates, the PCA is a glass house and there is no moral authority to do this with any gravitas when most churches have services for the other two pretended holy days; even the big name conservative men each year make posts that belie any pretense that specialness isn't invested in these observances which removes them from "just preaching topically since its part of the culture" or what have you. But this is part and parcel with a poor observance of the one real holy day we have, the Lord's Day.

The PCA does not have a directory for public worship; well, 2 or 3 chapters but not addressing this.
Well, 3.143 chapters now.

I just noticed something interesting the other day. A lawyer might argue that BCO 12-5 e. may make more of the Directory binding on the Session than is commonly thought.

"To exercise, in accordance with the Directory for Worship, authority over the time and place of the preaching of the Word and the administration of the Sacraments, over all other religious services, over the music in the services..."

The statement of the Third General Assembly that the bulk of the Directory isn't binding does not, in itself, appear to be binding. And that section doesn't limit it to the portions commonly thought to have constitutional authority.

Well, 3.143 chapters now.

I just noticed something interesting the other day. A lawyer might argue that BCO 12-5 e. may make more of the Directory binding on the Session than is commonly thought.

"To exercise, in accordance with the Directory for Worship, authority over the time and place of the preaching of the Word and the administration of the Sacraments, over all other religious services, over the music in the services..."

The statement of the Third General Assembly that the bulk of the Directory isn't binding does not, in itself, appear to be binding. And that section doesn't limit it to the portions commonly thought to have constitutional authority.
I would suspect that would be seriously litigated in opposition too. We were not able to run it in the PCA issue of The Confessional Presbyterian, which is v19, now out and available (deadlines and needed work), but this is an article on the PCA's DfPW: https://pcapolity.com/2024/01/10/the-unfinished-business-of-the-pca-founding/

Thanks for that link, Chris. I've bookmarked it to study later, but it certainly looks more well developed than my thoughts on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back