On Reading the Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings pilgrims,

I had a reoccurring thought again this morning on the nature of the Bible. On the one hand, I think that the Bible is close to infinite in what we can continue to gain out of it throughout our lives. Indeed, no living (or dead) human being has ever mastered everything in the Bible.

But this morning, as I was reading 1 Samuel, I had another oft reoccurring thought about the nature of the Bible. I usually consider it a mere outline--a bullet list compared to what I would like to know.

I'm sure you recall the beloved disciple John's view of the brief information we have on the Life of Christ.

John 21:25​
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.​

Below is a link to a web page that gives the approximate reading time for each of the books of the Bible. The author estimates that it takes less than 8 hours to read everything the gospels tell us about Jesus. Considering that Christ is the Lord, Creator, Master of the universe, and our Redeemer, that's a mear paucity of information. As you might expect, the author's purpose is to exhort us to read more of the Bible more often.

How Long Does It Take to Read Each Book of the Bible?

Not counting the book I am currently studying or the Psalms I sing every day, I get through the Bible about four times a year.

I started using the Bible app on Saturday, December 2, 2017. How do I know that? Because the Bible app tells me that I haven't missed a day in 1446 days.

Do you use Logos.com ? You can create your own reading plans with it, and many other things of course.

Greetings pilgrims,

I had a reoccurring thought again this morning on the nature of the Bible. On the one hand, I think that the Bible is close to infinite in what we can continue to gain out of it throughout our lives. Indeed, no living (or dead) human being has ever mastered everything in the Bible.

But this morning, as I was reading 1 Samuel, I had another oft reoccurring thought about the nature of the Bible. I usually consider it a mere outline--a bullet list compared to what I would like to know.

I'm sure you recall the beloved disciple John's view of the brief information we have on the Life of Christ.

John 21:25​
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.​

Below is a link to a web page that gives the approximate reading time for each of the books of the Bible. The author estimates that it takes less than 8 hours to read everything the gospels tell us about Jesus. Considering that Christ is the Lord, Creator, Master of the universe, and our Redeemer, that's a mear paucity of information. As you might expect, the author's purpose is to exhort us to read more of the Bible more often.

How Long Does It Take to Read Each Book of the Bible?

Not counting the book I am currently studying or the Psalms I sing every day, I get through the Bible about four times a year.

I started using the Bible app on Saturday, December 2, 2017. How do I know that? Because the Bible app tells me that I haven't missed a day in 1446 days.

Interesting. I'm currently reading through the Bible at the rate of 6 chapters per day - 3 from each Testament. At that pace, I've read the Old Testament once and the New Testament four times this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back