Origins of this Quote...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmaciver

Puritan Board Sophomore
"One thief was saved that no sinner might despair, but only one, that no sinner might presume."

Challies attributes it to Ryle, however my minister pointed out that Ryle's Expository Thoughts on Luke has the phrase in quotations marks, (see below).

Can anyone shed some light on the origins of the quote? Was it Ryle or was he indeed quoting someone else?

upload_2018-7-3_11-29-31.png
upload_2018-7-3_11-33-7.png

Challies attributes it to Ryle, however my minister pointed out...
Your minister and Chris have pointed you in a better direction. I suspect that the general language of that quote goes further back than we can trace.

Your minister and Chris have pointed you in a better direction. I suspect that the general language of that quote goes further back than we can trace.
That was my thought too; that it probably goes back to some church father; so I hesitate to say this fellow from 1657 popularized it as it may already have been a commonplace; or not; but no time to play with this further. Maybe if it were cited in a work I was editing....

"One thief was saved that no sinner might despair, but only one, that no sinner might presume."

Challies attributes it to Ryle, however my minister pointed out that Ryle's Expository Thoughts on Luke has the phrase in quotations marks, (see below).

Can anyone shed some light on the origins of the quote? Was it Ryle or was he indeed quoting someone else?

Everyone attributes the quote to Ryle but... I found the "quote" in an 1858 edition of Ryles Expository Thoughts Luke Vol. 2, and only the end of the saying has a quote. At this point, I think it is just as likely that the end quote should be removed as it is for the beginning quote to be added. Here it is at Google Books - https://goo.gl/GHvV5k Unless of course someone finds the saying earlier than Ryle.https://goo.gl/GHvV5k

Ed

That was my thought too; that it probably goes back to some church father; so I hesitate to say this fellow from 1657 popularized it as it may already have been a commonplace; or not; but no time to play with this further. Maybe if it were cited in a work I was editing....
Attributed to Augustine here:

"Do not despair: one thief was saved. Do not presume: one thief was damned."

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Augustine_of_Hippo

See page 12 in the PDF referenced at the wikiquote link above:
http://www.oxford-shakespeare.com/Greene/Repentance_Robert_Greene.pdf

Attributed to Augustine here
Experience has taught me to be utterly suspicious of any quote attributed to an ancient writer when no source/reference is provided for it. You get burnt a few times and it begins to have the effect of giving you a cautious approach.

On Luke 23:32-43, Matthew Henry noted a similar thought concerning the repentant thief:

Though he was in the greatest struggle and agony, yet he had pity for a poor penitent. By this act of grace we are to understand that Jesus Christ died to open the kingdom of heaven to all penitent, obedient believers. It is a single instance in Scripture; it should teach us to despair of none, and that none should despair of themselves; but lest it should be abused, it is contrasted with the awful state of the other thief, who died hardened in unbelief, though a crucified Saviour was so near him. Be sure that in general men die as they live.​

I thought I remembered this vaguely similar quote from John Chrysostom, and I found it in my notes...Chrysostom refers to the thief as a "brigand."

Chrysostom (349-407): There is also something greater to mention: it is not that he welcomed a brigand, but did so before all the world including the apostles, to prevent anyone despairing of a welcome or giving up hope of their salvation, once they see the one saddled with countless vices inhabiting the royal courts. Let us see, however, whether the brigand gave evidence of effort and upright deeds and a good yield. Far from his being able to claim even this, he made his way into paradise before the apostles with a mere word, on the basis of faith alone, the intention being for you to learn that it was not so much a case of his sound values prevailing as the Lord’s lovingkindness being completely responsible. Robert Charles Hill, trans., St. John Chrysostom, Eight Sermons on the Book of Genesis (Boston: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2004) Sermon 7, p. 123. These sermons were delivered by Chrysostom in Antioch during Lent of 386 (see p. 3 of this book).
Greek text: Ἔστι καὶ ἄλλο μεῖζον εἰπεῖν. Οὐ γὰρ λῃστὴν εἰσήγαγε μόνον, ἀλλὰ καὶ πρὸ τῆς οἰκουμένης ἁπάσης, καὶ πρὸ τῶν ἀποστόλων· ἵνα μηδεὶς τῶν μετὰ ταῦτα ἀπογνῷ τὴν εἴσοδον, μηδὲ ἀπελπίσῃ τὴν σωτηρίαν τὴν ἑαυτοῦ, τὸν μυρίων γέμοντα κακῶν ἐν ταῖς βασιλικαῖς αὐλαῖς στρεφόμενον ὁρῶν· Ἀλλʼ ἴδωμεν, μὴ πόνους ἐπεδείξατο καὶ κατορθώματα καὶ καρποὺς ὁ λῃστής. Οὐδὲ τοῦτο ἔστιν εἰπεῖν, ἀλλʼ ἀπὸ ψιλοῦ ῥήματος, ἀπὸ πίστεως μόνης πρὸ τῶν ἀποστόλων εἰσεπήδησεν εἰς τὸν παράδεισον, ἵνα μάθῃς ὅτι οὐχ ἡ ἐκείνου εὐγνωμοσύνη τοσοῦτον ἴσχυσεν, ὅσον τοῦ Δεσπότου ἡ φιλανθρωπία τὸ πᾶν ἐποίησε. In Genesim, Sermo VII, §4, PG 54:612-613.

Experience has taught me to be utterly suspicious of any quote attributed to an ancient writer when no source/reference is provided for it. You get burnt a few times and it begins to have the effect of giving you a cautious approach.

This is true, but clear source attribution is a very modern expectation. Unless we have an diligent editor like Chris combing through an older work for a new critical edition, the vast majority of historical Christian texts will lack such references. I find it more conducive to my own enjoyment and personal benefit to approach such works with an attitude of charity rather than suspicion, even as I appreciate immensely the work of a good editor like Chris or James Dennison. Older authors seemed to take that approach with the secondary sources that they interacted with, being more concerned with the truthfulness and value of the statement than airtight attribution.

Other usage:

The Practice of Piety: Directing a Christian how to Walk, that He ...
upload_2018-7-10_19-26-54.jpg
https://books.google.com/books?id=uMlN5jcVsIYC
Lewis Bayly - 1723 - ‎Read - ‎More editions
him; and to our God, for he is very ready to forgive. ... God spared the Thief, but not his fellow. God spared one, that no Man might despair ; God spared but one, that no Man should presume. Joyful assurance to a sinner that repents: no comfort to him that remains impenitent. God is infinite in mercy, but to them only who turn from their sins, to serve him in holiness, without which no Man shall see the Lord, Heb. 12. 14. ... Presume not, if thou wilt not perish : " Repent, if thou wilt be saved.

I missed the Robert Greene above; that is so far the earliest date (1592) and it mis-attributes to Augustine. But is as we've been surmising, and as was common practice, it is likely some father being paraphrased like the Chrysostom above DTK cited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back