Paedobaptism, Music, and Covenant Succession

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonathan,

Thank you for the interesting article. I have never heard that take on Psalm 150 before. I found these two quotes especially interesting:

Originally posted by JonathanHunt

The permitted instruments were psaltery, harp, cymbals and trumpet.

<snip>

No timbrels or drums were allowed in the Temple, and the notion of percussion-heavy, happy-clappy worship is far from reality.

I am willing to accept these statements if they can be demonstrated to be Biblical.

Please show me in the Bible where it says that "No timbrels or drums were allowed in the Temple", and that the ONLY instruments permitted in the temple were the "psaltery, harp, cymbals and trumpet."

I am not trying to be difficult. I just honestly am not aware of any Bible passages that teach this. But I am willing to accept what the Scriptures say if you point it out to me. --- I have to admit that you have probably researched the subject of music in the Bible more deeply than I have. So I am listening.

Thank you!

Your brother in Christ,
Joseph

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
2 Chronicles 34:12 And the men did the work faithfully. Over them were set Jahath and Obadiah the Levites, of the sons of Merari, and Zechariah and Meshullam, of the sons of the Kohathites, to have oversight. The Levites, all who were skillful with instruments of music, 13 were over the burden-bearers and directed all who did work in every kind of service, and some of the Levites were scribes and officials and gatekeepers.

Isaiah 38:20 The Lord will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the Lord.
What do you think Hezekiah meant here by "my music" or "my songs" (NKJV)? Clearly he is ordering that his music will be played in the temple all the dyas of "our lives." Did Hezekiah write any psalms?

Ezekiel 40:42 And there were four tables of hewn stone for the burnt offering, a cubit and a half long, and a cubit and a half broad, and one cubit high, on which the instruments were to be laid with which the burnt offerings and the sacrifices were slaughtered.

Gabe, I would ask you read this verse again in context. "Instruments" here does not refer to musical instruments but to the tools used for sacrificing animals. Even if it did refer to musical instruments, you still have another problem with your interpretation. This prophecy in Ezekial is speaking of New Covenant worship and fulfillment. If this verse teaches musical "instruments" are present with the newly instituted sacrificial system in Christ in the new covenant, then you have to answer the question, how are instruments then to be used since they clearly are commanded here?

Obviously, that verse doesn't apply so no need to debate over it. But, if Christ is our sacrifice, there is no need to apply anything related to it. It is abolished.

Gabe, you never answered Patrick's questions above. Please do so. I think he made some very good arguments.

Also, there is still no one who has responded to my questions above.

Now that I'm listening more closely, and now that Patrick's even addind in some good Scriptural arguments, I'm surprised that Gabe, Daniel, and Chris aren't responding at all. . . . (except for Gabe quoting Psalm 66, and I have no idea what that passage has to do with anything).
:banghead:

[Edited on 5-31-2005 by biblelighthouse]

Originally posted by biblelighthouse

I am willing to accept these statements if they can be demonstrated to be Biblical.

Please show me in the Bible where it says that "No timbrels or drums were allowed in the Temple", and that the ONLY instruments permitted in the temple were the "psaltery, harp, cymbals and trumpet."

I am not trying to be difficult. I just honestly am not aware of any Bible passages that teach this. But I am willing to accept what the Scriptures say if you point it out to me. --- I have to admit that you have probably researched the subject of music in the Bible more deeply than I have. So I am listening.

Thank you!

Your brother in Christ,
Joseph

I was quoting an article there by Peter Masters - not my own work. I will have a look at this time permitting in the next few days.

JH

Gabe, you never answered Patrick's questions above. Please do so. I think he made some very good arguments.

Now that I'm listening more closely, and now that Patrick's even addind in some good Scriptural arguments, I'm surprised that Gabe, Daniel, and Chris aren't responding at all. . . . (except for Gabe quoting Psalm 66, and I have no idea what that passage has to do with anything).

Just to clarify, I am sympathetic to Gabe's convictions, though I'm not convinced completely yet. I just know from experience that when people become dependent on instruments for worship, then they have forgotten what it means to worship. I personally believe that the most spiritual and pure form of worship is acapella, but understand that not all are gifted with music yet, and thus an instrument may be necessary to unite the voices. But I believe the simpler the better. Less is more. But as I have come to no Scriptural conclusions yet I must relegate this to a personal preference and poke holes in both side's arguments until I am convinced one way or the other.

Once you respond to my 20+ posts that went ignored and brushed off as nonsense, I'll be a little less apathetic about replying to anyone in this thread at all.

I have been away from the Internet for a few days. I think that Chris and Gabe can answer your questions more aptly because I am not an exclusive psalmodist nor do I support the exclusion of instruments from worship per se. However I have read these arguments in the past and I am still willing to be convinced.

My main reason for posting is already apparent and I do not need to repeat the reasons here. Just read my posts again and you will see why I said what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back