PCA Members per Elder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Kim

Puritan Board Freshman
Does anyone know if there are guidelines or recommendations for how many ruling elders a church should have, in proportion to the size of the church? (e.g. a church of 100 members should ideally have....2 ruling elders? 3 ruling elders?). If not, what are potential guidelines to determine how many elders a church should have?

Thanks in advance!

In the PCA, the BCO entitles congregations to a certain number of representatives based on the number of members (see BCO 13.1). But as far as guidelines or recommendations... that's a good question! My personal opinion is that there should be one elder for, at most, every 30-50 members, but that's not always feasible.

Need at least two for a session.
My personal opinion is that there should be one elder for, at most, every 30-50 members

That's pushing it if you ask me. I think it's easier to measure by households when shepherding. For example, there is a huge difference between shepherding 3 households consisting of a couple and 3 children in each household vs 15 individual singles who are each their own household. I think a RE can give good attention and prayers to maybe 5-8 households before getting stretched.

How many gifts has Christ given the church? How many men meet the qualifications and are willing to serve? Those are the questions to ask.

We have someone locally who is naturally beginning to take on the duties of a deacon. As opportunities present themselves I will ask him about how he might qualify and if he is interested. Last time I did this, the session announced that a fella was being reviewed for the possible nomination as an elder, the very week I had planned to make the recommendation. This is how a congregation brings officers forward, not setting up bylaws that say x-number will serve.

Need at least two for a session.

That's pushing it if you ask me. I think it's easier to measure by households when shepherding. For example, there is a huge difference between shepherding 3 households consisting of a couple and 3 children in each household vs 15 individual singles who are each their own household. I think a RE can give good attention and prayers to maybe 5-8 households before getting stretched.
My personal opinions are always worth what you pay for them. I did say 'at most' 30-50 people. Coming from a church with fewer than 1 elder for every 120 members, my suggestion would be a vast improvement. Going even farther, with one elder for every 8 households, would surely be nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back