Philosophical Question - Debate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggy

Puritan Board Freshman
Here is a philosophical question relating to leadership I have thought of.
Is it wiser to lead directly, and win respect from the people,
Or is it wiser to be a puppeter behind the scenes, and maintain genuine control of things?

State your stand and justify.

I personally am undecided on this.
 
You haven't provided enough criteria in order to make a decision. Sometimes it's better for a leader to take charge and be visible. Other times it's better to lead quietly. It really is situation specific.
 
Jesus said that he who would be the greatest must be the servant of all. That was the example he left us, and the one we should follow. A leader is there to serve those under him. Sometimes that means teaching, leading by example (being the first one to do what he teaches) or guiding others in the direction they need to go. Other times, it means setting the boundaries and letting others move within those boundaries.

I think of how that dynamic works within a group of musicians being led by a director. With some music, each note must be played correctly as written in the music, and then the director works with the musicians to make sure that happens. Other times the music does not dictate anything other than chords and a melody line. At that point, the director gives a few directions then steps back and allows the musicians to play within the boundaries set by the chords.
 
Here is a philosophical question relating to leadership I have thought of.
Is it wiser to lead directly, and win respect from the people,
Or is it wiser to be a puppeter behind the scenes, and maintain genuine control of things?

State your stand and justify.

I personally am undecided on this.

Personally I think it's a little irresponsible to play the puppeteer and let others catch the flak when your leading doesn't accomplish what you thought it would(or when it does accomplish what you thought it would!).
 
Here is a philosophical question relating to leadership I have thought of.
Is it wiser to lead directly, and win respect from the people,
Or is it wiser to be a puppeter behind the scenes, and maintain genuine control of things?

State your stand and justify.

I personally am undecided on this.

What about leading directly and gaining perennial scorn?
 
Here is a philosophical question relating to leadership I have thought of.
Is it wiser to lead directly, and win respect from the people,
Or is it wiser to be a puppeter behind the scenes, and maintain genuine control of things?

State your stand and justify.

I personally am undecided on this.

What about leading directly and gaining perennial scorn?

Or, worse, leading indirectly, and giving someone else perennial scorn?
 
If a figurehead is willing to be manipulated on the chance of glory, he has to face up as well to the risk of opprobrium.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top