Please recommend a couple of books

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccravens

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all,

Looking for recommendations for books on the topic of God's impassibility. Looking for something not too technical that at least does 2 things:

*explains the theological issue without getting too technical (if that is possible)
*warmly devotional, bringing out the positive practical implications of the doctrine

So far, I have my eyes on: God without Passions: A Primer, by Samuel Renihan.

Any thoughts on this book or suggestions on others?

Thanks in advance.

All that is in God by James Dolezal.
I was going to.suggest the same.
Likewise.

Confessing the Impassible God: The Biblical, Classical, & Confessional Doctrine of Divine Impassibility (Baines, et al.) is a substantial and important work. Parts of it are technical. Parts of it are very readable. It does include a chapter on pastoral and practical implications of the doctrine. I have almost finished the book. I am greatly enjoying it.

I have heard Catholics today like Thomas Weinandy have good stuff on the doctrine of God and the Trinity. Evangelicals still tend to be squishy in those areas; not that there aren't good Protestants on it. However, the case and point was the whole EFS debate.

Likewise.

Confessing the Impassible God: The Biblical, Classical, & Confessional Doctrine of Divine Impassibility (Baines, et al.) is a substantial and important work. Parts of it are technical. Parts of it are very readable. It does include a chapter on pastoral and practical implications of the doctrine. I have almost finished the book. I am greatly enjoying it.
I have it and recommend it.

The Dolezal book is excellent. I would also recommend the Reformed Forum Christ the Center discussion on impassibility with Dolezal. And then the one on simplicity :)

Thanks to all. Going to Amazon to check out Dolezal now.

Also found some edifying pages (about 12) in Beeke's ST volume 1.

Further reading:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back