Post-Mil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampguy

Puritan Board Freshman
Could some one state as simply as possible the postmil position with scripture?
Also a brief bibliography,please.

Here is a response I gave to this question on another thread:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Okay...so without reading the book per se (my hubby is studying it)...what DOES postmillinianism believe...precisely and simply?

"Postmillennialism is that view of the last things which holds that the Kingdom of God is now being extended in the world through the preaching of of the Gospel and the saving work of the Holy Spirit, that the world eventually will be Christianized, and the return of Christ will occur at the close of a long period of righteousness and peace commonly called the Millennium.

"Thus Postmillennialism holds that Christianity is to become the controlling and transforming influence not only in the moral and spiritual life of some individuals, but also in the entire social, economic and cultural life of the nations. There is no reason why this change should not take place over the entire earth, with pagan religions and false philosophies giving place to the true, and the earth being restored in considerable measure to that high purpose of righteousness and holiness for which it was created."

-- Loraine Boettner, The Millennium, pp. 4, 53

Additional definitions/comments:

Gentry contends that postmillennialism is amillennialism extended to its logical conclusion [3] and certainly they have much in common. Gentry defines the basic idea of postmillennialism as:

Postmillennialism expects the proclaiming of the Spirit-blessed gospel of Jesus Christ to win the vast majority of human beings to salvation in the present age. Increasing gospel success will gradually produce a time in history prior to Christ's return in which faith, righteousness, peace, and prosperity will prevail in the affairs of people and of nations. After an extensive era of such conditions the Lord will return visibly, bodily, and in great glory, ending history with the general resurrection and the great judgment of all humankind. [4]

Mathison also gives a definition of postmillennialism:

'Like amillennialism, postmillennialism teaches that the "thousand years" of Revelation 20 occurs prior to the Second Coming. Some postmillennialists teach that the millennial age is the entire period of the time between Christ's first and second advents, while others teach that it is the last one thousand years of the present age. According to postmillennialism, in the present age the Holy Spirit will draw unprecedented multitudes to Christ through the faithful preaching of the gospel. Among the multitudes who will be converted are the ethnic Israelites who have thus far rejected the Messiah. At the end of the present age, Christ will return, there will be the general resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment will take place.' [5]

Charles Hodge (1797-1878) explains his optimistic theology thus.

As therefore the Scriptures teach that the kingdom of Christ is to extend over all the earth; that all nations are to serve Him; and that all people shall call Him blessed; it is to be inferred that these predictions refer to a state of things which is to exist before the second coming of Christ. This state is described as one of spiritual prosperity; God will pour out His Spirit upon all flesh; knowledge shall everywhere abound; wars shall cease to the ends of the earth, and there shall be nothing to hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the Lord. This does not imply that there is to be neither sin nor sorrow in the world during this long period, or that all men are to be true Christians. The tares are to grow together with the wheat until the harvest. The means of grace will still be needed; conversion and sanctification will be then what they ever have been. It is only a higher measure of the good which the church has experienced in the past that we are taught to anticipate in the future. This however is not the end, After this and after the great apostasy which is to follow, comes the consummation. [6]

Source: The Biblical basis of Postmillennialism

"...and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth." (Daniel 2.35)

"His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed. Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things. And blessed be his glorious name for ever: and let the whole earth be filled with his glory; Amen, and Amen." (Ps. 72.17-19)

"And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more." (Isa. 2.2-4)

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this." (Isa. 9.6-7)

"Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field: Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof." (Matt. 13.31-32)

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Matt. 28.18-20)

"Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all." (I Cor. 15.24-28)

"Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him." (Heb. 2.8)

Westminster Larger Catechism:

Question 45: How does Christ execute the office of a king?
Answer: Christ executes the office of a king, in calling out of the world a people to himself, and giving them officers, laws, and censures, by which he visibly governs them; in bestowing saving grace upon his elect, rewarding their obedience, and correcting them for their sins, preserving and supporting them under all their temptations and sufferings, restraining and overcoming all their enemies, and powerfully ordering all things for his own glory, and their good; and also in taking vengeance on the rest, who know not God, and obey not the gospel.

Question 191: What do we pray for in the second petition [of the Lord's Prayer].?
Answer: In the second petition (which is, Thy kingdom come), acknowledging ourselves and all mankind to be by nature under the dominion of sin and Satan, we pray, that the kingdom of sin and Satan may be destroyed, the gospel propagated throughout the world, the Jews called, the fulness of the Gentiles brought in; the church furnished with all gospel officers and ordinances, purged from corruption, countenanced and maintained by the civil magistrate: that the ordinances of Christ may be purely dispensed, and made effectual to the converting of those that are yet in their sins, and the confirming, comforting, and building up of those that are already converted: that Christ would rule in our hearts here, and hasten the time of his second coming, and our reigning with him forever: and that he would be pleased so to exercise the kingdom of his power in all the world, as may best conduce to these ends.

Messiah the Prince

Christ the King of All

See also The Puritan Hope by Iain Murray

Thanks Andrew that helps a lot. Any good books that are not to difficult for the average reader? Tim

Although I have not read The Puritan Hope by Iain Murray, I believe this would be a good place to start. Books by Loraine Boettner are excellent too.

I'm sure Andrew will have excellent suggestions for you.

Originally posted by Swampguy
Thanks Andrew that helps a lot. Any good books that are not to difficult for the average reader? Tim

You're welcome!

Originally posted by Ivan
Although I have not read The Puritan Hope by Iain Murray, I believe this would be a good place to start. Books by Loraine Boettner are excellent too.

Ivan,

Those are two very good suggestions: The Puritan Hope by Iain Murray and The Millennium by Loraine Boettner. I would add to that Messiah the Prince by William Symington and Eschatology of Victory by J. Marcellus Kik.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by Swampguy

You're welcome!

Originally posted by Ivan

Ivan,

Those are two very good suggestions: The Puritan Hope by Iain Murray and The Millennium by Loraine Boettner. I would add to that Messiah the Prince by William Symington and Eschatology of Victory by J. Marcellus Kik.

Hope this helps!

I find myself between amil and post-mil. Again, I need to do more reading on the subject.

One of the things that PB has done for me (or to me?) is to show me my need to do some reading in areas where I am weak. Again, this board is invaluable.

The book I recommend is "Paradise Restored" by David Chilton. David provides a cogent explanation of the postmillenial viewpoint in a way that the "common joe" can easily read. That is not to say it is shallow, Chilton wrote this book in a fashion that made you feel like he was sitting right there in the room with you. I think the book is out of print, but may be obtained through resale avenues.

Just remember this:

"pre" means before
"post" means after
"Ahh" means "I don't know" (and he's probably guessing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back