Pray for my Brother

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ Spencer

Puritan Board Freshman
A couple of years ago my brother began to read and discuss the Bible with me. He made a profession of faith and was really devouring the word of God and theology. He was the only other Christian in my family, not just in my immediate family, I'm talking about cousins and grandparents as well. He was only 14 at the time. I was so encouraged by his newfound faith that I decided to move my family from Tennessee back to Ohio to continue to encourage him in the faith. I knew what it was like to grow up in that non Christian household and I didn't want him to go through what I went through all alone.
Shortly after we moved back my mom cheated on my dad, her husband of 32 years. It left the family fractured and broken, especially my dad who did not see it coming. My brother sided with my mom, which caused a rift in our relationship. My brother decided to shut everyone out, this was six months ago. Tonight was the first time that I spoke to my brother in six months and he informed me that he no longer considers himself a Christian. A lot of what he told me sounded deist with some new age mixed in. He said he doesn't think Jesus ever actually existed and referred to God as an "it". I re shared the true gospel with him and tried to encourage him to continue to seek after the truth. He decided not to have a back and forth with me because he knows that I've debated enough atheists/agnostics that I usually know what they are going to say before they even say it. Please keep him in your prayers, he is partially responsible for my re embrace of reformed theology.

I just prayed for both you and him.

I am so thankful to believe in a God powerful enough to change the heart. No Arminian theology can give you any comfort right now, but what Scripture and our confessions teach about the power of God to change hearts is of the greatest consolation!

Weary God by asking, imploring and interceding. He invites incessant prayer (Luke 11:5-13).

Praying that the Lord will do a mighty work in this young man’s heart. Stay strong, brother.

A couple of years ago my brother began to read and discuss the Bible with me. He made a profession of faith and was really devouring the word of God and theology. He was the only other Christian in my family, not just in my immediate family, I'm talking about cousins and grandparents as well. He was only 14 at the time. I was so encouraged by his newfound faith that I decided to move my family from Tennessee back to Ohio to continue to encourage him in the faith. I knew what it was like to grow up in that non Christian household and I didn't want him to go through what I went through all alone.
Shortly after we moved back my mom cheated on my dad, her husband of 32 years. It left the family fractured and broken, especially my dad who did not see it coming. My brother sided with my mom, which caused a rift in our relationship. My brother decided to shut everyone out, this was six months ago. Tonight was the first time that I spoke to my brother in six months and he informed me that he no longer considers himself a Christian. A lot of what he told me sounded deist with some new age mixed in. He said he doesn't think Jesus ever actually existed and referred to God as an "it". I re shared the true gospel with him and tried to encourage him to continue to seek after the truth. He decided not to have a back and forth with me because he knows that I've debated enough atheists/agnostics that I usually know what they are going to say before they even say it. Please keep him in your prayers, he is partially responsible for my re embrace of reformed theology.

I had a son who professed faith and then professed to be an atheist during his College years. He returned to the faith and goes to Church with me almost every Sunday. I didn't hound him about his condition after he walked away. He grew up having some form of devotions almost every night when he was younger. When he would come ask me for advice I only had to ask him what he thought I would say. He already knew so I didn't have to tell him anything. He would want to hear it anyways so I would oblige him. I am a praying Dad.

I relied upon two passages.
Eze 22:30 And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

That passage showed me that God was looking for an intercessor.

Psa 2:8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

That passage showed me God's will is for the salvation of men and inheritance for the Son. I am in Union with the Son. So I sought Him to claim my sons for His own.

I am a simple man with a simple faith.

Psa 126:3 The LORD hath done great things for us; whereof we are glad.
Psa 126:4 Turn again our captivity, O LORD, as the streams in the south.
Psa 126:5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
Psa 126:6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.

They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.

Praying for you and your brother, RJ. It’s the spirit of the age for so many of our young people. God is greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back