I read up some more and it seems futile. I am not sinless and some of the stuff I read it seems like I cannot pray for temporal things even if they are not sinful. I do not mean that in like a prosperity gospel way either.
Be encouraged.
Psalm 66:18 is more about the sincerity of one's prayers than it is about our indwelling sins. The want of sincerity made the Lord reject the prayers of those mentioned in Hos. 7:14, where he says, ‘They have not cried unto me with their heart,’ that is, in sincerity, ‘when they howled upon their beds.’
I asked for strength and find gave me difficulties to make me strong.
I asked for wisdom and God gave me problems to solve.
I asked for prosperity and God gave me brawn and brains to work.
I asked for courage and God gave me dangers to overcome.
I asked for patience and God placed me in situations where I was forced to wait.
I asked for love and God gave me troubled people to help.
I asked for favors and God gave me opportunities.
I received nothing I wanted, I received everything l needed.
My prayers have all been answered.
“If God has eternally decreed that you should live, what is the use of your breathing? If God has eternally decreed that you should talk, what is the use of your opening your mouth? If God has eternally decreed that you should reap a crop, what is the use of your sowing the seed? If God has eternally decreed that your stomach should contain food, what is the use of your eating.”
Hodge answers his own questions:
“In order to educate us, [God] demands that we should use the means, or go without the ends which depend upon them. There are plenty of fools who make the transcendental nature of eternity and of the relation of the eternal life of God to the time-life of man an excuse for neglecting prayer. But of all the many fools in the United States, there is not one absurd enough to make the same eternal decree an excuse for not chewing his food or for not voluntarily inflating his lungs.”