I have a cup of coffee every morning before I attempt much engagement with anything. I prefer daylight to candlelight. I have long loved sunlight better than anything else on the planet, though the moving shadows it makes out of leaves and even stalks of grass come close. The sun, and the coffee, definitely help me to feel more grateful, more alert and responsive. I can imagine a posture and incense and a certain kind of light doing the same for other people.
But someday I may be deprived of all those and yet I won't be deprived of any iota of the content of my faith, of God's nearness and love. I recognise that there is danger for me to assume that these better frames of mind equal my faith or His presence -- which is another way of walking by sight.
Coffee, chocolate, even sunlight, necessary as sunlight is to me, add nothing to the work of Jesus. Nor do my alertness and responsiveness, though I'm very grateful for those. I'd rather have trials and some sense of God's nearness than feel God is faraway and be comfortable. I expect that if I get over-dependent on my *sense* of Jesus love as if it *added* anything to His love, that God will deal with that in me. I'm under tutelage, and that is such a comfort. But I also recognise that all my relationships are easier if I'm in a grateful, responsive, alert frame of mind -- not just my relationship with God. Ruben is also happy for me to have my morning coffee

.
I think it would be a sign I'd gone too far if I made a spiritual ritual of those helps to my frame of mind, included others in them, etc. I would be enshrining my feelings as content or practice of faith. And we walk by faith, not feelings. Without faith, it is impossible to please God.
I think our familiar little creaturely habits do come to be part of that stabilising sense of being at home with Him through the changing days that God gives each one of us. But the home He is is so much more than this place on my couch with all the windows open and a cup of coffee and my devotional books, though I am so very grateful for this. (edit: what I am trying to express is that my little rituals are so much
smaller than God. He meets me in my smallness, where some little things make me *feel* more in tune with big things. But if I box in my apprehension of His nearness to certain conditions, or particularise the way in which I can come to Him, I am severely limiting my apprehension of God's heart for me everywhere and under any conditions, crippling my own faith.)