Promotion of Critical Race Theory in Your Church: What Would You Do?

Would you Leave your Church over the Promotion of Critical Race Theory (CRT)

• Yes, I would leave my church over the promotion of CRT.

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • No, I would stay at my church. CRT is an error, but not worth leaving over.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • No, I would stay at my church. I am an advocate of CRT being employed in the Church.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Explain in Comments).

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

B.L.

Puritan Board Sophomore
I realize most people here are NOT in churches where the promotion of Critical Race Theory (CRT) is an issue they are concerned with; however, all the discussions I've seen on it got me thinking about whether or not folks deem CRT a significant enough issue (read: error) to leave their church over.

Built into the poll question is a scenario where the elders in your church are promoting CRT as more than just an "analytic tool" (whatever that actually means) but are using the platform of the preaching pulpit and Sunday school classes to educate the congregation on things like "white privilege" and things of that nature.

[Edit: to clarify the first two poll options...in both scenarios it involves you discussing your concerns about CRT with the elders in your church. Communication with the leadership in your church is implied.]

Last edited:
I realize most people here are NOT in churches where the promotion of Critical Race Theory (CRT) is an issue they are concerned with; however, all the discussions I've seen on it got me thinking about whether or not folks deem CRT a significant enough issue (read: error) to leave their church over.

Built into the poll question is a scenario where the elders in your church are promoting CRT as more than just an "analytic tool" (whatever that actually means) but are using the platform of the preaching pulpit and Sunday school classes to educate the congregation on things like "white privilege" and things of that nature.
What is critical race?

Seeing as CRT usually supplants the gospel entirely and puts the focus on "social justice," I would certainly be making my way to the nearest exit.

Last edited:
One thing I didn't account for when I put the poll together is the large number of pastors and elders present on this board. So I guess a second question for them in mind would be whether or not a candidate for ministry or a person nominated to serve as an officer in the church would/should be disqualified, in your opinion, for espousing views supportive of Critical Race Theory.

So I guess a second question for pastors and elders in mind would be whether or not a candidate for ministry or a person nominated to serve as an officer in the church would/should be disqualified, in your opinion, for espousing views supportive of Critical Race Theory.
Yes.

I know this a side issue, but I would argue that you don’t even have to make the further distinction you do. CRT as an analytical tool is problematic in its own right. We should look at peoples struggles from an individual perspective and stop trying to lump them into cultural groups, especially when our new identity in Christ will trump any of those things. This is a form of cultural theonomy designed in such a way that the divine component will naturally fall/be stripped away. From a Christian perspective it’s completely self defeating.

Last edited:
You are correct that this does not happen overnight. It has been happening at my church in Augusta Georgia for years now. I am so sick and tired of it. I’m not sure exactly what to do. When I speak to pastors and elders, there is complete lack of any sort of concern whatsoever. We have actually even recently hired a “pastor of diversity.” I really don’t know what to do. It’s a terrible situation to be in, and like I said I’m very tired of fighting the battle. We leave church completely disgusted most of the time. Our new diversity pastor spoke about Malcolm X and Martin Luther King to the point where my 12-year-old came home and asked me who Malcolm X was. This is supposedly a conservative PCA church. I feel like I joined a church and was completely bamboozled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I responded to the poll imagining the most charitable situation, that perhaps some well-meaning folks thought they could bring in that language and Christianize (basically, white guilt), but don't understand its ramifications. I would never just "leave" a church without discussing with my church leadership about such matters. I feel, in some ways, I can recoup the same language and throw it back at them if necessary and use my "I'm a woman of color" card to actually be heard and not have the situation just be brushed over. I would seriously just return to 1) Scripture and 2) Biology. I don't want to get into all of it here, but I feel myself more and more lately sighing every time I have to say again, "Race is not a biological concept. Race does not exist."

One of my favorite things to share about this (because she says it better) is genetic anthropologist Dr. Jennifer Raff who talks about how our conceptions of race are simply unfounded in science (and she is an agnostic herself, but she does often talk with cults and cultish pseudoscience). I believe her discussion of DNA comes around 40:40 -ish:

I responded to the poll imagining the most charitable situation, that perhaps some well-meaning folks thought they could bring in that language and Christianize (basically, white guilt), but don't understand its ramifications. I would never just "leave" a church without discussing with my church leadership about such matters. I feel, in some ways, I can recoup the same language and throw it back at them if necessary and use my "I'm a woman of color" card to actually be heard and not have the situation just be brushed over....

I don't think that card carries as much credit as one might expect. If society were interested in listening to the diverse, authentic voices of POC (instead of the white progressives making grabs at power and righteousness claiming to speak for them) things would be a lot more nuanced than they are now.

Dissenting as a woman or POC is just a quick way to get yourself marginalized.

Fully agree, however, that I would talk to the leadership first. I don't know if it was intended, but the poll does make it look a bit like a snap decision. I'd want to know more of the context.

I don't think that card carries as much credit as one might expect. If society were interested in listening to the diverse, authentic voices of POC (instead of the white progressives making grabs at power and righteousness claiming to speak for them) things would be a lot more nuanced than they are now.

Dissenting as a woman or POC is just a quick way to get yourself marginalized.

Fully agree, however, that I would talk to the leadership first. I don't know if it was intended, but the poll does make it look a bit like a snap decision. I'd want to know more of the context.

When I say I pull that card, I mean that mostly tongue in cheek. As you were somewhat in-tuned with in your comment, sometimes it feels like the people having these conversations about how to be woke for the POC are often just "woke" white people expressing white guilt and I think sometimes the irony of being the colored person in the room that raises their hand to say, "I don't agree." can at least be a way to pop some cognitive bubbles. I have never had to run into this situation, of course, so it's hard to know how it would really play out. But I think it's easier to be heard in a community/social situation where you know the people than it is to be a dissenting POC in the media or public eye (many examples there). So, though I hope I never have to "play my card," I hope that it would mean more to people I know and who know me (esp. in a church) than I would expect that same thing to "outside" the situation (as the internet so overwhelmingly exemplifies).

Sorry the poll options weren't explicit enough. In a day when people make snap decisions about the most important of issues I suppose I should have clarified up front. For the sake of the poll I'm assuming everyone is a member of the church they are in and that they would absolutely have the discussion with their elders before deciding to leave. That we're all mature adults here is my going in assumption.

One thing I didn't account for when I put the poll together is the large number of pastors and elders present on this board. So I guess a second question for them in mind would be whether or not a candidate for ministry or a person nominated to serve as an officer in the church would/should be disqualified, in your opinion, for espousing views supportive of Critical Race Theory.
I would think that a man who upholds Critical Race Theory would be confessionally disqualified from elder candidacy. The Baptist Confession (1689), Chapter 6, paragraph 3 states that 'the guilt of [Adam's] sin was imputed'. (For my brothers who hold to the Westminster Standards, I am sure there is an equivalent statement.) Critical Race Theory, though, seeks to impute the sin of 'oppressors' onto those of the same race/class/etc., stating that they are all guilty of oppression. Therefore, there is a confessional discrepancy which would prohibit such a person from holding church office.

Well this is interesting. I received the link below to an article that was recently posted to the facebook page of a Ruling Elder in the PCA and subsequently 'liked' by another Ruling Elder and Teaching Elder in the same congregation.

Perhaps others have already seen this article. I just read it for the first time. The author is an ACNA Priest and the Assistant Professor of N.T. at Wheaton.

I'm at a loss for words.

Why it Matters if Your Bible was Translated by a Racially Diverse Group.

I would think that a man who upholds Critical Race Theory would be confessionally disqualified from elder candidacy. The Baptist Confession (1689), Chapter 6, paragraph 3 states that 'the guilt of [Adam's] sin was imputed'. (For my brothers who hold to the Westminster Standards, I am sure there is an equivalent statement.) Critical Race Theory, though, seeks to impute the sin of 'oppressors' onto those of the same race/class/etc., stating that they are all guilty of oppression. Therefore, there is a confessional discrepancy which would prohibit such a person from holding church office.
Would not our Fall in Adam Trump so called critical race, as entire hunmanity guilty in sin period?

Well this is interesting. I received the link below to an article that was recently posted to the facebook page of a Ruling Elder in the PCA and subsequently 'liked' by another Ruling Elder and Teaching Elder in the same congregation.

Perhaps others have already seen this article. I just read it for the first time. The author is an ACNA Priest and the Assistant Professor of N.T. at Wheaton.

I'm at a loss for words.

Why it Matters if Your Bible was Translated by a Racially Diverse Group.
The scriptures transcend ethics and race, as it's the very word of the Lord regardless skin color translating it.

Last edited:
CRT stopped me watching Black Lightning on Netflix - dont want it in my sci-fi, certainly don't want it in my church!

There is so much in the Scriptures that need expounding I don't think it leaves room for racial politics. I also believe it is character not skin colour that is important - I know that is heresy to the woken but that doesn't mean it is untrue.

CRT stopped me watching Black Lightning on Netflix - dont want it in my sci-fi, certainly don't want it in my church!

There is so much in the Scriptures that need expounding I don't think it leaves room for racial politics. I also believe it is character not skin colour that is important - I know that is heresy to the woken but that doesn't mean it is untrue.
The cure for racial divide is the real, not social, gospel.

Would not our Fall in Adam Trump so called critical race, as entire hunmanity guilty in sin period?
Our fall in Adam, and the imputation of his guilt, is indeed a greater imputation and more weighty in its effect eternally and temporally because it is a legitimate imputation. I (along with all mankind) am born into sin, as children of wrath, and continue therein but by the effectual grace of God. It must be remembered, though, that Adam is the unique covenant representative of mankind; and the attributing of his guilt is a biblically warranted and clear doctrine. The attribution of guilt implied in Critical Race Theory, however, seems to rely more heavily on social theory and situational ethics rather than the authority of Scripture. It is true that I am guilty in Adam, by virtue of being born in Adam. It is not true that I am guilty in another by virtue of being born in the same class/race/etc. My guilt does not lie with them, but my covenant representative - just as my righteousness does not rely on myself or any other except for the mediator Christ Jesus, who is my Covenant Head and Better Adam.

I voted "other."

I would ultimately leave if it weren't taken care of. Being the OPC, we have a process for this sort of thing. I would appeal to another session in the presbytery and see it through to be dealt with at presbytery (or at GA depending on how it goes). By that, hopefully, the minister and elders guilty of promoting such false teachings would be expected to repent or be excommunicated and replaced.

Let me say this, I thank God that my session of elders is faithful after God's teaching. They don't stand for that sort of antichristian refuse.

I think the 'race' aspect of critical race theory is the least of the problems associated with Critical Race Theory. The biggest problems are the postmodernism and the moral relativism. If it was simply the idea of white guilt I'd have little issue with it, although the sins of those in the past should not be placed upon those living in the present. There are extremes on both sides; Blaming people in the present for the things done in the past and on the other end pretending like the white race hasn't made mistakes in the past. Seeing racism everywhere verses claiming that racism doesn't exist at all. I voted that I wouldn't leave because the post-modernist and the moral relativist aspect of Critical Race Theory would Never be promoted in my church.

I think the 'race' aspect of critical race theory is the least of the problems associated with Critical Race Theory. The biggest problems are the postmodernism and the moral relativism. If it was simply the idea of white guilt I'd have little issue with it, although the sins of those in the past should not be placed upon those living in the present. There are extremes on both sides; Blaming people in the present for the things done in the past and on the other end pretending like the white race hasn't made mistakes in the past. Seeing racism everywhere verses claiming that racism doesn't exist at all. I voted that I wouldn't leave because the post-modernist and the moral relativist aspect of Critical Race Theory would Never be promoted in my church.
Why is it always white slavery though being addressed, and not the truth of black on black slavery issues, especially in regards to Muslims?

I think the 'race' aspect of critical race theory is the least of the problems associated with Critical Race Theory. The biggest problems are the postmodernism and the moral relativism. If it was simply the idea of white guilt I'd have little issue with it, although the sins of those in the past should not be placed upon those living in the present. There are extremes on both sides; Blaming people in the present for the things done in the past and on the other end pretending like the white race [emphasis mine] hasn't made mistakes in the past. Seeing racism everywhere verses claiming that racism doesn't exist at all. I voted that I wouldn't leave because the post-modernist and the moral relativist aspect of Critical Race Theory would Never be promoted in my church.
The problem with this is, of course, that the whole concept of "white race" is a horrific anachronism. It's a concept virtually created--or borrowed, rather, from outmoded, Darwinian theory--for the current discourse. It's absolute rubbish.

There's just no meaningful discussion to be had when the starting point is so wrongheaded.

The biggest problems are the postmodernism and the moral relativism.

I believe this is the root cause of nearly all the problems the church is facing today in the west. The scriptures are no longer viewed as sufficient and our confessional standards are seen as outdated relics of antiquity. We're more enlightened today and know better than those who have come before us.

I voted that I wouldn't leave because the post-modernist and the moral relativist aspect of Critical Race Theory would Never be promoted in my church.

I pray you will find this statement to be true 10 years from now. Seriously.

It's time Christians pull their children from the state ran schools and take a hard look at the seminaries that are forming the minds of our future pastors. The problems the church is facing is of our own making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back