Question Regarding Paedobaptist Denominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStone

Puritan Board Freshman
My question is this:

Are there any wide-spread denominations that are both paedobaptist and congregational in their polity? Or do they not exist?

Thanks,
Justin

I'm assuming that you mean denominations that have some kind of affinity with at least generic evangelicalism.

This body: Conservative Congregational Christian Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (4-C's) has an historic Congregational heritage.

But, the article notes that Reformed and Arminian convictions exist side-by-side, since by definition Congregational churches are not subject to external control or discipline.

As to the infant-baptism question, I believe such churches generally practice it, given their historic roots.

Larger bodies such as the United Church of Christ (mainline/liberal Congregational) also practice infant baptism.

In general, all the Congregationalists permit a great diversity as to when and how (mode) baptism is conducted.

Thanks Mr. Buchanan.

Are you essentially saying there are no confessional, reformed, paedobaptist, congregational churches? There were in the Puritan days, correct? But they don't exist now?

Thanks,
Justin

Maybe the IPC (Independent Presbyterian Church) would be a potential candidate (Independent Presbyterian Church) They say they are "affiliated" with the PCA, but by being independent it appears that have some level of congregatinalism - while still being reformed and confessional.

Are you essentially saying there are no confessional, reformed, paedobaptist, congregational churches? There were in the Puritan days, correct? But they don't exist now?

The above mentioned churches, whether liberal or conservative (along with some Unitarians) are the lineal, modern American descendants of the N.E. Puritan Congregationalists.

Theologically, even Jonathan Edwards ended up a (nominal) Presbyterian, dying instantly (as it were) coming into that denomination to become president of the Theological College (later, Princeton). A true commitment to the principles of Congregationalism means doctrinal discipline is inherently limited. Truly, Congregationalists must be more of a movement, less of an organization, when considered together. No one can tell a Congregationalist church what to believe or teach. So, "toleration" is maximized as a virtue.

However, I know a man who, many years ago and just out of Bible School, went to preach for some Congregationalists. Though professing to respect liberty of each church, a liberal rep from the local association eventually came to hear what he believed and taught (which was the Bible), and made it clear he would be removed if he stayed. So, liberalism and laxity within Congregationalism leads (naturally) to strong-arm enforcement of a ban on strict orthodoxy. If there's one thing liberals can't tolerate...

Maybe the IPC (Independent Presbyterian Church) would be a potential candidate (Independent Presbyterian Church) They say they are "affiliated" with the PCA, but by being independent it appears that have some level of congregatinalism - while still being reformed and confessional.

I find the term Independent Presbyterian to be a little bit of an oxymoron...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back