Quote on Romans + Commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheocraticMonarchist

Puritan Board Junior
I’ve got a college paper to write over Romans, and I can’t find a source. I was wondering you guys could help me out :).

I’ve heard it said, or read somewhere, that 'no book of the Bible has more commentaries written on it than Romans'.

This is my very first college paper, and I think that this would make an interesting intro, since Romans is the closest thing to a systematic theology we have in the Bible, and very important to all theologians. I just need to find the souce.

Can anyone help?
 
If you can't find the exact source, perhaps consider prefacing with, "someone has said, '...'" or something like that where you're basically saying you want to give credit for the phrase but the best you can do is an anonymous source.

Also using this as a parenthetical type of quotation may be fine as well.

But on the above be sure to check with your prof/teacher. He/she's the one for whom your writing and is the judge and jury. You'll discover that some profs are very strict, while others are more forgiving. Your checking w/them via email or in-person (best of all) will cover a multitude of sins and may save you many unnecessary steps and faux pas along the way.

And, if you haven't already, find out if there's a style manual, like Chicago Manual of Style, Turabian or MLA, etc that's the format "bible" for your particular academic division or major. If it's not a big deal for your undergrad, as it wasn't for mine, rest assured it will be if/when you pursue masters and doctoral work.

No two style manuals are exactly the same.

Hope this helps if you don't find the source.
 
I know the quotation you're talking about, and I don't know where it is. However, I do have a quote that says exactly the same thing in slightly different words:

Of the writing of commentaries on Romans there is no end.​

From D.A. Carson's New Testament Commentary Survey, pg. 84. Dunn also has said something very similar:

"And certainly it seems to have attracted more commentaries of note than any other NT or biblical writing" (pg. xiii).​
 
Thanks for the help! Those quotes will do :)

They did give me instructions on how they expect me to write, structure, and cite sources for my paper. I'll be taking both of my English classes next (that's an advantage of correspondence). It gets easier right?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top