R.C. Sproul, Jr. RCC Baptismal Efficacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

caoclan

Puritan Board Freshman
From R.C. Sproul, Jr.:

Ask RC: Should we accept a Roman Catholic baptism as legitimate?

The vast majority of Protestants since the time of the Reformation take the view that we should accept Roman Catholic baptism. Several reasons are proffered. First, the donatist controversy. During the days of the Diocletian persecution there were those professing Christians who essentially repudiated the faith. The Donatists argued that the sacraments performed by those who recanted the faith were therefore invalid. Saint Augustine wisely argued that the efficacy of a sacrament is not tied to the faith of the one administering it. Second, there is the reality that at the time of the Reformation the magisterial Reformers accepted Roman Catholic baptism as valid. Third, there is nothing unbiblical about what is said in the Roman Catholic baptism, and it is said in the same Trinitarian formula as Protestant baptism. Fourth, many Protestants consider Rome to be a deeply flawed, chock-full-of-serious-errors true church and her baptisms irregular, but valid.

While I certainly understand this common view I do not embrace it. Baptism is, among other things, that sacrament by which one enters into the visible church. Rome, after the formal adoption of the sixth session of the Council of Trent, became an apostate church. That makes her in my judgment not merely a bad church, but a former church. A bad husband is one who is unfaithful. A rightly divorced husband, though he had had to be married in order to be unfaithful, is no longer a husband. If I am correct, being baptized into a local Roman Catholic church is not being baptized into a part of the visible church.

While the Trinity is a necessary, beautiful, critically important doctrine, while I believe that to deny it is to deny the faith, that it was the key issue for the first 500 years of the church after the ascension, this does not make it the alone necessary doctrine for a church to be a church. Any “church” for instance, that denies the resurrection of the body is not a church, and we should not accept their baptisms. In like manner, any “church” that says that anyone who teaches we are justified by faith apart from the works of the law should be damned, as Rome says in the sixth session of the Council of Trent, even if they affirm the Trinity, is not rightly administering the sacrament.

Which brings us to the Reformers. Though they may have addressed this and I missed it, it is important to remember that they are answering the question principally in a pre-Trent context. They are dealing with people who were baptized before Rome ceased to be a church, however weak they might have been up to that point. I don’t think Calvin or Luther or Zwingli, etc. needed to be baptized again because they were baptized when Rome was still a church.

Finally, the distinction between the Donatist issue and this issue is here- I am not saying that the unbelief of the one administering the sacrament makes it invalid. I am saying the unbelief of the institution into which one is being “baptized” makes it invalid. It’s not that the baptizer disbelieves, but that the church is not a church.

As rare as my position may be I am by no means the only one to take it. The southern Presbyterian tradition takes the same position. On the other hand, it has always been my practice not to impose my view on anyone. No one should ever get into any trouble for agreeing with Luther, Calvin, Warfield and Hodge and disagreeing with me. I believe Christians should submit to the wisdom of their shepherds on this issue, and I believe elders should be gracious toward their sheep.

This is an issue for me, it has been for several years. Thoughts?

Allow me to outline the historic Catholic teaching on baptism. St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo, sought to reconcile the Donatist and Novation schismatics to the Church Catholic. St. Augustine held that the Donatist and Novation baptisms were valid because:
1. They used the right formula. Baptism was done using the words from Scripture, "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."
2. They used water. The person baptized was either dipped in or had water poured on him as the words from Scripture were pronounced.
3. Baptism was done with Trinitarian intent.
St. Augustine held that all of these conditions must be met for baptism to be valid. St. Augustine held that the core Trinitarian faith of the the Novations and Donatists was sufficient without holding their Churches to be valid.
Today the implication of St. Augustine's teaching is that Baptisms performed by a Campbellite congregation is valid even though they are Pelagian. Though they are Pelagian they are still Trinitarian. Baptisms performed in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints [Mormon], or the Communities of Christ [which used to call themselves the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints] are not valid because they do not believe in the Trinity. The Society of Friends [Quakers] and the Salvation Army which spiritualize Baptism but do not use water, do not have valid Baptism. Apostolic Churches and other oneness Pentecostals do not have valid Baptism because they neither have Trinitarian intent nor do they use the right words when they Baptize. In the 1970s some liberal Churches were reported to have baptized using the words "In the name of the Father, and of Jesus Christ Super Star, and of the Spirit of God." Such baptism would not be valid, because the scriptural words were used.

Last edited:
What if the Lord can take what is meant for what we would call "evil" (the baptism of a newborn in the RCC, albeit a Trinitarian baptism) and turn it to good, for His own purposes, some years later when the person is born again?

If we would acknowlege that the RCC baptism is evil, then why also argue that God needs to turn it to good? Why not just leave it evil and reject it?

Here's (http://www.rts.edu/Site/Resources/FacultyArticles/OneBaptismRevised.pdf) an interesting article that I've passed along when asked, as a long-time visitor to a couple of Reformed Baptist churches, if I will submit to rebaptism.

I read that article with some interest. I fear that there will never be any "tolerance" on the issue of the timing and mode of baptism, after I was tweated the following that flatly indicates paedobaptist churchs are not "true new testament churches" from the so-called "Historic" Baptist Perspective:

What is an Historic Baptist? by David A. West, Sr.

What if the Lord can take what is meant for what we would call "evil" (the baptism of a newborn in the RCC, albeit a Trinitarian baptism) and turn it to good, for His own purposes, some years later when the person is born again?

If we would acknowlege that the RCC baptism is evil, then why also argue that God needs to turn it to good? Why not just leave it evil and reject it?

Does God turn all evil to good?

No.

No.

Then, how do we know He turns Roman baptisms into good ones (if that is what some would suggest)? If that is being suggested (not by you Andrew, I know) then what about Mormon baptisms? Those are evil, if he turns evil Roman baptisms good, why not Mormon baptisms too? They are also trinitarian.

No.

Then, how do we know He turns Roman baptisms into good ones (if that is what some would suggest)? If that is being suggested (not by you Andrew, I know) then what about Mormon baptisms? Those are evil, if he turns evil Roman baptisms good, why not Mormon baptisms too? They are also trinitarian.

Yes, this is the point I was trying to make too. Andrew thanks you Andrew.

As someone baptized on the wrong end of the Tiber, I'm always surprised so many get caught up in this.

Rome it should be remembered does subscribe to the creeds. This isn't flat out Mormonism, JW's, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I take the old reformers view on passages such as 2 Thess 2. The office of the Papacy is an evil construct. However because the Roman Catholic Church is creedal, this isn't a church talking about a different Jesus in the same sense as Mormons, JW's, others do. It defines plenty of terms differently, and they do ghastly and idolatrous acts within their worship, but again go to any Roman Catholic Mass and you are going to hear the Creed of Nicaea said within the church at every service.

A few other quick points:
-The actual water baptism doesn't save anyone. It never has. It never will.

-As the WCF states, we are not tied to the person's performing the baptism in a justification sense. God works in Baptism within the midst of sin, if not... everyone would stand on shaky ground.

-Lets also not forget the WCF was written during a time where a lot of Roman's were leaving for Protestantism. If they wanted to explicitly lay out of case for Protestant specific baptism... they sure did an awful job at it. I doubt it's silence on requiring Romans to be re-baptized isn't because this wasn't brought up.

- I've met plenty of now reformed people who have found themselves being Baptized 3-4+ times in their life.... once as a Roman Catholic.... once in the Calvary Chapel... once... etc.... fears of this very issue has led many to get "dunked" time and time again. Such a result is often putting too much esteem in the act of Baptism when it comes justification... and in a sense... becomes silently a very Roman view of the sacraments - where they are tied directly to justification.

-Make this a universal and you would get to a silly point where reformed churches would have to compile a list of which Churches baptism are valid and which are not. The universalist stylized "Protestant" churches for example... anyone want to state being baptized from there is more legit than a Roman Catholic baptism? It seems to get Pharisaical very quickly to me.

Those are evil, if he turns evil Roman baptisms good, why not Mormon baptisms too? They are also trinitarian.

Mormons are not trinitarian, are they?

Mormon baptisms are "Trinitarian" that is, they baptize in the name of the father, son, and holy ghost. Now there is the clarification needed that they don't believe in the biblical trinity, but hey that's just another evil, much like the many roman evils.

Kevin, I was also baptized as a Roman Catholic, and that baptism was a invalid baptism and so no baptism at all. So as one who was baptized into a valid Christian baptism after my conversion (not re-baptized), RC Jr is right. :)

No.

Mormons are absolutely modal. They think the Holy Spirit has a body of flesh and bone. God the father has a body of flesh and bone. Jesus has a body of flesh and bone... also Jesus in construct is no different then you. He's your equal Spirit Brother... who was created the same time you were in a preexistent life. Comparing Mormon's views on Jesus and RCC is no where grounded in reality.

I don't believe we are comparing Mormon's views on Jesus and RCC. I believe we were talking about God turning evil baptisms into good ones.

I don't believe we are comparing Mormon's views on Jesus and RCC. I believe we were talking about God turning evil baptisms into good ones.

Well when Roman Catholic's believe in baptizing dead family members so they can galactically spend time and all eternity together on a planet they will run themselves as a God... I'll see your point.

Kevin, that might be an argument you can make, but that wasn't the point I was making and so you are distracting from the argument I and the other Andrew was making. Perhaps you'd like to interact with it and just ignore the mormon part of the argument (it isn't that major, it was just an illustration).

Kevin, that might be an argument you can make, but that wasn't the point I was making and so you are distracting from the argument I and the other Andrew was making. Perhaps you'd like to interact with it and just ignore the mormon part of the argument (it isn't that major, it was just an illustration).

I already believe I responded to your argument (many of the points more specifically on my first post in this thread). You claimed Mormons were "Trinitarian" in quotes. Of course your larger point is that they aren't Trinitarian. Just like Roman Catholics you are alluding to aren't Trinitarian. But you actually undermine your point with going into "evil" rather than sticking to the original Trinitarian point. If you ask a devout and non-Holiday Roman Catholic on the Trinity... there is no argument there between Protestants and Roman Catholics. Actually in my own life I've found it far more common to hear odd explanations from Greek orthodox on the Trinity. Now you can quickly get to shaky ground in other areas such as the communion of Saints.... but on the Trinity they take the creedal view entirely.

Let me put it this way...

Lets pretend a Priest wore a suit one day and walked into a reformed Church... you watched as they then proceeded to Baptize a child.... Nothing in the Baptism for that specific child would call in to question whether it was a Baptism. He would baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He would mention how we would look forward to a day where the child can articulate their faith on their own... etc... the only odd ball thing is you do have God Parents stand there and take vows similar to what many PCA and OPC churches do... but they have the entire congregation take them instead of two specific people.

Comparing that with what Mormons do... is not even in the same ballpark. It's comparing football and chutes and ladders.

Last edited:
Here's (http://www.rts.edu/Site/Resources/FacultyArticles/OneBaptismRevised.pdf) an interesting article that I've passed along when asked, as a long-time visitor to a couple of Reformed Baptist churches, if I will submit to rebaptism.

What if the Lord can take what is meant for what we would call "evil" (the baptism of a newborn in the RCC, albeit a Trinitarian baptism) and turn it to good, for His own purposes, some years later when the person is born again? The second birth was, after all, within God's eternal plan from before the foundation of the world.

Years ago, R. C. Sproul, Jr. wrote a very polemical article against the RCC and former Catholics in "Tabletalk" that brought tears to my eyes - and there's no love lost between the Catholic Church and me. It was harsh and as an ex-Catholic, I was wounded. I wrote to him - and he wrote back. In the final paragraph of his letter, he told me to "go back to Rome." :(

I have not followed that instruction.

That is a shocking thing for him to say.

Those who were circumcised in the apostate northern nation of Israel weren't excluded from the Old Covenant or from the OT Church.

Rome and Eastern Orthodoxy are part of the Visible Church, as are Liberal Churches, so-called "Evangelical" with Liberal stances, and Pentecostal Churches.

The Lord will deal with Babylon - the apostate Church - when He wishes to.

And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all. (Rev 18:21)

And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: (Rev 18:23)

As to the evil point... What does the WCF say if I am baptized by someone who is not actually elect.

How can you ever be completely sure - in this life - that someone else is elect?

This is admittedly a difficult issue. And there is an honest difference in the reformed house.

I must admit to being surprised when I first heard the while Roman Catholic communion by the Lord's Supper was not recognized, their baptism was.

The PCA report Rich linked to is well worth reading. We are blessed to be in a denomination that considers such matters biblically, and charitably within that, and in this form it is indeed helpful. The bottom line is that 4 members of the study on this in the PCA, all godly men and founding fathers of the denomination all voted for the majority report (Roman baptism is not valid). One godly man voted it was. So, 4 against Roman baptism validity, 1 for it. But, General Assembly received both reports.

I've tried to see the other side (that Roman baptism is valid), but cannot get there. I can't get past the fact that a "true" church (charitable assertion) is required for Lord's Supper communion but not for baptism. There are some who advocate Eastern Orthodox baptisms are valid, and that communion is even farther off from the Roman one. Even their view of the Holy Spirit who would work in the sacrament is defective.

Charitably, the Roman church is not a true visible church of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ because it does not even arguably hold to a biblical gospel. It is fallen, a legacy Christian denomination.

That is distinct from their being true Christians in their communion, which I have no doubt there are some. Calvin and Luther were at one time. But that's in spite of it- because there was a legacy of Christianity in the communion and some common grace that went down even to some individual members who might, at one time, actually be saved.

While rejecting the authority of Scripture (sola scriptura) is also important, it comes down to the gospel. If a church OFFICIALLY rejects the biblical gospel (and pronounces 'anathema' on it), which has been the case since Trent, I can't see how it can presumptively administer Christian baptism under any pretense whatsoever. It seems the ordinance has to be administered by what the Westminster Standards call, "a minister of the gospel, lawfully called thereunto."
Chapter XXVIII
Of Baptism

II. The outward element to be used in this sacrament is water, wherewith the party is to be baptized, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, by a minister of the Gospel, lawfully called thereunto.[9]

Baptism is, after all, about the gospel and salvation, that's what it points to.

Take that away and there really is nothing to baptize to.

This is admittedly a difficult issue. And there is an honest difference in the reformed house.

I must admit to being surprised when I first heard the while Roman Catholic communion by the Lord's Supper was not recognized, their baptism was.

The PCA report Rich linked to is well worth reading. We are blessed to be in a denomination that considers such matters biblically, and charitably within that, and in this form it is indeed helpful. The bottom line is that 4 members of the study on this in the PCA, all godly men and founding fathers of the denomination all voted for the majority report (Roman baptism is not valid). One godly man voted it was. So, 4 against Roman baptism validity, 1 for it. But, General Assembly received both reports.

I've tried to see the other side (that Roman baptism is valid), but cannot get there. I can't get past the fact that a "true" church (charitable assertion) is required for Lord's Supper communion but not for baptism. There are some who advocate Eastern Orthodox baptisms are valid, and that communion is even farther off from the Roman one. Even their view of the Holy Spirit who would work in the sacrament is defective.

Charitably, the Roman church is not a true visible church of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ because it does not even arguably hold to a biblical gospel. It is fallen, a legacy Christian denomination.

That is distinct from their being true Christians in their communion, which I have no doubt there are some. Calvin and Luther were at one time. But that's in spite of it- because there was a legacy of Christianity in the communion and some common grace that went down even to some individual members who might, at one time, actually be saved.

While rejecting the authority of Scripture (sola scriptura) is also important, it comes down to the gospel. If a church OFFICIALLY rejects the biblical gospel (and pronounces 'anathema' on it), which has been the case since Trent, I can't see how it can presumptively administer Christian baptism under any pretense whatsoever. It seems the ordinance has to be administered by what the Westminster Standards call, "a minister of the gospel, lawfully called thereunto."
Chapter XXVIII
Of Baptism

II. The outward element to be used in this sacrament is water, wherewith the party is to be baptized, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, by a minister of the Gospel, lawfully called thereunto.[9]

Baptism is, after all, about the gospel and salvation, that's what it points to.

Take that away and there really is nothing to baptize to.

Again if you go down this road... do you then by default believe the Reformed Churches should be analyzing each individual denomination within Christendom? Because lets be honest... Roman's don't have a monopoly on heresy... they are just the most widespread within Christendom. If someone comes out of Rick Warrens Church into your own.... should they get baptized again? How about Joel Osteen? How about Doug Wilson? How about Mark Driscoll? How about Arminians? How about United Church of Christ members? How about PCUSA these days and once they take on gay clergy? Who is going to monitor this? How would this not lead to Phariseeism. All I know is Luther and Calvin were under real threat of being killed by this Church of Rome... and yet... they didn't take on your view... quite the opposite in fact. Which scripture should I look to for this view and consider?

Also let me add...

You are struggling with the distinction between communion and baptism... let me give a plausible theory.

Roman's DON'T view communion like reformed people do. Neither side accepts the other side. This is a battleground. They think you are literally digesting Christ. How could the reformed camp say anything but no to Roman communion?

Roman's and Reformed however have absolutely no difference when it comes to the Trinity, of which you are baptized in the name of. Now the Gospel might be semi-pelagian... and hence entirely pelagian... but if that's the standard... essentially all "four pointers" etc... are going to have to get rebaptized. Very few don't need a "redunk".

Roman's don't have a monopoly on heresy.

That's not the point.

they are just the most widespread within Christendom.

Not quite the point either. They officially, even by charitable assumption, reject a biblical gospel (and pronounce "anathema" on all who hold it).

The others you mentions could, I think, charitably fall within a definition of a biblical gospel, that is holding to a historical evangelical one. Defective though they are in other areas, they have not pronounced anathemas on it. Nor differentiated themselves by confession, by accountability AWAY from it. Nor did they persecute those who protested it.

And a biblical gospel is what baptism is about.

By the way, Mr. Calvin and Mr. Luther in their day never intended to form a separate church- they were trying, at their time, to reform the Roman Catholic church from within.

And their time was before Trent, before the Roman church officially differentiated itself from the biblical gospel.

It's hard to know exactly when Mr. Calvin or Mr. Luther would have left to start a new communion, but as their progeny refined the systematic theology of Scripture- they sure did. And not pretend communion with Rome.

Roman's DON'T view communion like reformed people do. Neither side accepts the other side. This is a battleground. They think you are literally digesting Christ. How could the reformed camp say anything but no to Roman communion?

One battleground.

But this is not the determinative factor.

In the PCA, all those who are members in good standing of churches WHERE THIS GOSPEL IS PREACHED (Evangelical) are invited to partake in the Lord's Supper.

That's what differentiates Rome.

(This gospel is not preached there).

Presbyterian Church In America (PCA)
Book of Church Order

Chapter 58
The Administration of the Lord's Supper

4.b.

Since, by our Lord's appointment, this Sacrament sets forth the
Communion of Saints, the minister, at the discretion of the Session, before
the observance begins, may either invite all those who profess the true
religion, and are communicants in good standing in any evangelical church
to participate in the ordinance; or may invite those who have been approved
by the Session, after having given indication of their desire to participate.

One battleground.

But this is not the determinative factor.

In the PCA, all those who are members in good standing of churches WHERE THIS GOSPEL IS PREACHED (Evangelical) are invited to partake in the Lord's Supper.

That's what differentiates Rome.

(This gospel is not preached there).

Presbyterian Church In America (PCA)
Book of Church Order

Chapter 58
The Administration of the Lord's Supper

4.b.

Since, by our Lord's appointment, this Sacrament sets forth the
Communion of Saints, the minister, at the discretion of the Session, before
the observance begins, may either invite all those who profess the true
religion, and are communicants in good standing in any evangelical church
to participate in the ordinance; or may invite those who have been approved
by the Session, after having given indication of their desire to participate.

Scott, only the invisible Church truly knows the Gospel. Your view of Gospel determinism is also still at odds with evangelical "I choose Jesus" crowd. They have something to boast in.... they choose Christ and want everyone else to choose him too... so is that ultimately any different then the semi-Pelagian good people Gospel of the Roman Catholic church? Ultimately you're good enough to choose your own righteousness. Also I'm sorry... PCUSA is a razor thin margin away from sodomites teaching the word and being married within the church. The numbers of votes keep climbing. So again... what's your determination? Gospel driven? Because a church which embraces sodomites sure as heck isn't Gospel driven....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back