Rebuking the Devil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean a rebuke in prayer, or an exorcism?

Jesus said we would cast out demons in His name and gave us that authority. I have missionary friends who have been to places where the natives slit the throat of an animal, collect the blood, drink a "communion" out of a common cup, and the hub says you watch the the people fall on the floor and start writhing around and their face contorts and they are so obviously demon possessed.

They've done some casting out demons in their mission work. They are more typically evangelical than Reformed and I don't know all the details. Jesus called it "the children's bread" and cast demons out of the covenant people back in His day. I don't know all the subtle nuances of possession versus oppression, but some folks do believe but they still need an evil spirit rebuked and commanded to leave them.

Luke13: 10On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, 11and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. 12When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, "Woman, you are set free from your infirmity." 13Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God.
14Indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, the synagogue ruler said to the people, "There are six days for work. So come and be healed on those days, not on the Sabbath."

15The Lord answered him, "You hypocrites! Doesn't each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water? 16Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?"

Pergamum, as I recall you deal with some very evil tribal situations, right? Yeah, if it was me I'd be asking God to move, begging him to deliver, and trusting that even Satan and evil spirits are His tool in his sovereign plan. They can't do a thing w/o Him allowing it. Personally I would not be doing rebuking of Satan in situations but I might be real wrong.

But exorcisms of individual people who WANT freedom, have turned to Jesus Christ and repented of sin but have demonic oppression from their past witchcraft or whatever...yeah, go for it.

My thinking on this subject is in a lot of flux. I think repenting from sin and bible study and sacraments and so forth can accomplish a great deal. I do not know exactly where and when the need to rebuke and cast out demons comes in. I have on a few occasions met Christians with physical problems that I thought might be from an evil spirit (Jesus rebuked a fever and it immediately left the person). Kind of an intuitive thing, you get this creepy feeling around them of a literal dark presence. But they always have so many sin and doctrine issues also.

I think I'll go pray for you, and for the whole church as long as I am at it :lol: I sure don't have the answer. But exorcism is a responsibility of the church that you may need to deal with in your missionary calling.

I have never addressed a demon or the devil in prayer; prayer is always directed to God and why do I need to speak to any but God?

One man said he had a demon, so I prayed to God to deliver him...and he was healed (at least he reported as such and stayed in that state).

But reading James, James says rebuke the devil and he will flee. So, did James advocate talking to demons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back