Reformed position as to "When did the Church begin?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GulfCoast Presbyterian

Puritan Board Senior
I am in a conversation with a Dispensational friend, and am searching for the "historical" or "concensus" reformed position on "when did the Church begin?" I would appreciate it if someone would point me to a trusted primary source or sources for this information.

Thanks!

Mark

Also,

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XIX
Of the Law of God

[emphasis added]

I. God gave to Adam a law, as a covenant of works, by which He bound him and all his posterity, to personal, entire, exact, and perpetual obedience, promised life upon the fulfilling, and threatened death upon the breach of it, and endued him with power and ability to keep it.[1]

II. This law, after his fall, continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness; and, as such, was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai, in ten commandments, and written in two tables:[2] the first four commandments containing our duty towards God; and the other six, our duty to man.[3]

III. Besides this law, commonly called moral, God was pleased to give to the people of Israel, as a church under age, ceremonial laws, containing several typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ, His graces, actions, sufferings, and benefits;[4] and partly, holding forth divers instructions of moral duties.[5] All which ceremonial laws are now abrogated, under the New Testament.[6]

I have thought that the church began at Gen 3:15.
But then again I could see how one could argue prior but not post 3:15. It was certainly in place by then.
The administration is different, but the substance looks the same to me.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Belgic Confession, article 27: "This church has existed from the beginning of the world and will be to the end, for Christ is an eternal King who cannot be without subjects."

Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

I am in a conversation with a Dispensational friend, and am searching for the "historical" or "concensus" reformed position on "when did the Church begin?" I would appreciate it if someone would point me to a trusted primary source or sources for this information.

Thanks!

Mark

You have to bear in mind the Dispensational will not define the church as you do, if you do not caqrefully explain what the church is, there is little point in explaining when it began - you will be talking about two different bodies of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back