Religious Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Humor' started by Scott, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott

Scott Puritan Board Graduate

Below is an excerpt from a 1936 article by Clarence Darrow on picking a jury. He stereotypes various denominations and explains whether they would be good for a criminal defense lawyer. Anyway, it is rather amusing. Highlighted the "presbyterian," as it is most relevant here.

[Edited on 11-8-2005 by Scott]

2. Contra_Mundum

Contra_Mundum Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger Staff Member

Worth a read and a laugh.

3. cupotea

cupotea Puritan Board Junior

You are correct. However, so much of our modern secular world idolizes Darrow that such a quote creates within me a mixture of pity and fear.

4. Anton Bruckner

Anton Bruckner Puritan Board Professor

:cool::bigsmile::D:lol:

5. Craig

Craig Puritan Board Senior

If I was defending godless, guilty men....I think I say the same things :lol:

6. Anton Bruckner

Anton Bruckner Puritan Board Professor

but then again, a defendent should have a jury of his peers :D

[Edited on 11-9-2005 by Slippery]

7. Scott

Scott Puritan Board Graduate

"If I was defending godless, guilty men....I think I say the same things"

Yes, I think the response to this is that Darrow was a criminal defense attorney looking for jurors most favorable to his clients (mainly criminals). If you are a criminal, you don't want a presbyterian on the jury. Of course, a nice unitarian would be ok.

Seriously, prosectuors are so overworked and have so many cases that they typically only bring the cases with the best evidence. In nearly all of the cases they bring the defendant is guilty. Prosecutors have very high conviction rates, over 80 percent. Anyway, Darrow was for the most part defending criminals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.