Renewing wedding vows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am more than a little surprised that what Jessica has said here has not been picked up on properly. She has proven to be the profoundest theologian among us on the question.

You are too kind.

Alan D. Strange said:
Clearly there were times of covenant renewal in the OT and we do it in some sense every time we engage in public worship, especially at the communion table, where our being His (in union with Him) and in communion with each other is visibly signed and sealed. But we don't do it by being baptized again and again. Baptism is the sacrament of initiation and communion the sacrament of taking up and continuing in that which was signed and sealed to us in our baptism.

With respect to marriage, we are brought into such in the wedding ceremony, which need not be repeated. The renewal of love and commitment within the marriage in an ongoing way is regularly re-enacted in the marriage bed. I trust all the analogies are clear.

:agree:
 
What example of renewing wedding vows did the OP have in mind?

A 15th or 20th anniversary renewal with a party.

If you wanted in your celebration to RESTATE your marriage vows to each other as reminder, reflection upon them; I think that would be fine in the midst of a larger party.

Having a Pastor perform it, calling it a renewal, I would discourage you from doing.

If I was at an event and someone stated, "My wife and I, celebrating this occasion wanted to restate the vows we made 15 years ago as a pleasant reminder of the promises we made to each other then". Or something to that extent, I say go for it.

The second you use the word renewal however, I would encourage you to reflect on the marriage vow in light of how the word renewal is defined.

Renew means: resume (an activity) after an interruption.

There has been no interruption in your vow. Personally as a permanence view guy (myself) on marriage, I would feel convicted about participating or even being present at a "renewal" ceremony.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top