Romans 1:11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
What are the spiritual gifts Paul would want to impart where he would have to be in person to impart?

"11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong—"

Look at the next verse:

For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; that is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.

What Paul anticipates from a visit is mutual comfort, rising from a mutual faith, that results in a greater firmness. At least one reason for desiring to be present is probably to allow interaction: his letter is necessarily somewhat general, whereas in live conversation it would be possible to particularize and adapt more closely, personally, and immediately.

Look at the next verse:

For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; that is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.

What Paul anticipates from a visit is mutual comfort, rising from a mutual faith, that results in a greater firmness. At least one reason for desiring to be present is probably to allow interaction: his letter is necessarily somewhat general, whereas in live conversation it would be possible to particularize and adapt more closely, personally, and immediately.

Thank you Ruben. I also saw such but I was wondering if it could have been personal visit to impart the gift of healing, tongues, or prophesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back