SCOTUS rules for postal worker over working on the Lord's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the Lord uses this to focus fruitful attention on the Sabbath. Do you know whether the postal worker has been a good spokesman for it?

This is true!! I actually found a YT video from First Liberty Institute telling his story. He seems solid in what he says, but the comments underneath the video on the Sabbath being Saturday... yikes. I think this is becoming more popular thinking in the general population. May the Lord use this case to spark more teaching and knowledge about this error, as well.

I listened to the oral arguments and read a few of the briefs and thought this could be a significant case. Depending on the ruling (which I haven't yet read) the decision could make it harder for an employer to claim hardship when a worker requests to not work so he can observe a sabbath. (Even the Muslims came up during arguments.)

Looks like it was unanimous which is really important.

The decision is on this page.

Last edited:

This was a very encouraging oped. I appreciate how clearly he shows the importance of keeping the Lord's Day to what transpired.

We have a ruling elder at my church who is a former Mennonite. He said he was raised with a very high view of the Lord's Day and they refrained from work and recreation. He's often said he finds a lot in common between his upbringing and the piety of Reformed Presbyterians, though he says Presbyterians often don't emphasize holiness enough.

As someone who has struggled in the past with employers allowing me to rest on the Sabbath, this is such an encouragement. Praise the Lord!

I am curious if there have been recent incidents of the USPS accommodating other “sabbaths” such as Saturdays for Jews or Fridays for Muslims.

@ZackF
The problem was prompted by Amazon contracting with USPS to deliver "the last mile" on their 24x7 schedule. Until then, the fella was accommodated. And during oral arguments the justices asked questions that had all religious rests in view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back