Second Helvetic Confession - commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
Are people here aware of any books or articles that treat the Second Helvetic Confession? I know of numerous resources on the Three Forms and the Westminster Standards (though the Belgic Confession and Larger Catechism are comparatively somewhat neglected in secondary literature), but there seems to be very little about the Second Helvetic.

I have come across Professor Cammenga:

And of course Charles Johnson:

Thank you!
 
It has been my pet theory - totally unsupported by any actual evidence - that the 2HC has received comparatively less attention because of the reduced level of cross-pollination between the Swiss/German Reformed and the English Reformed. This would presume, by implication, that the 2HC has received perhaps more attention in German-speaking lands - a hypothesis which I have no way to defend.

What you say, though, does match my anecdotal experience. In practice, for most people, the Reformed standards are the WCF, the WSC, and the Heidelberg. The Canons of Dort get indirect acknowledgment via the preoccupation with the "5 Points".

I've read the 2HC through twice now, and I have really really enjoyed it. My initial opinion, with the enthusiasm common to new discoveries, is that its merits are very much comparable to the other standards.
 
Are people here aware of any books or articles that treat the Second Helvetic Confession? I know of numerous resources on the Three Forms and the Westminster Standards (though the Belgic Confession and Larger Catechism are comparatively somewhat neglected in secondary literature), but there seems to be very little about the Second Helvetic.

I have come across Professor Cammenga:

And of course Charles Johnson:

Thank you!
Arthur Cochrane has a short bibliography in Reformed Confessions of the Sixteenth Century. He mentions a dissertation by Ernest Koch, Die theologie der Confessio Helvetica Posterior; Paul Jacobs, Theologie reformierter Bekenntnisschriften in Grundzugen; and Walter Hildebrandt and Rudolf Zimmerman, Das Zweite helvetische Bekenntnis and Bedeutung und Geschichte des zweiten helvetischen Bekenntnisses.
 
There are a number of interesting YT video "commentaries" on the SHC, here being a pentad...





 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top