Second Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradofshaw

Puritan Board Freshman
Has anyone heard about this thing called Second Life?

Wikipedia Article

[video=google;8051735465443594148]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8051735465443594148[/video]

[video=google;-5182759758975402950]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5182759758975402950[/video]

OK, I'm 24, and I thought I was at least aware of what's trendy online, but I had never heard of this until today. This is the Matrix folks! An interactive virtual world where you can create your own life, and use real money to buy things and make yourself over. Computer geeks programming items and selling them for real profit and making a living off of it. All kinds of questions of international law, taxes and copyrights, not to mention the moral and ethical implications of a virtual world. I'm not surprised that something like this has taken off, I'm just surprised that it is here now and I didn't know about it.

This is the kind of thing that I would be wary to let my kids get involved in (it's 18 and over now, but there is a teen version and little can be done to stop a kid from signing up under a fake identity), and I would caution others from getting involved in it. But it makes me wonder, with the growth of the internet and the blurring of lines between reality and virtual reality, will programs like this play major parts in our everyday lives regardless of whether or not we want them to? For instance, I never saw the need for a cell phone until about two years ago. Now I never leave home without it. Major universities are already holding online classes in it. If you were a computer programmer, wouldn't you at least consider using this market to employ your skills?

Have I been living under a rock? Should I take the red pill or the blue pill?

Last edited:
BTW, I'm aware of other online metaworld games like World of Warcraft, in which people routinely sell experience points on Ebay. I'm also aware of other virtual reality phenomena like The Sims. But this one seems so extensive that it takes the cake.

Yes, I've heard of it. I don't know how people can do it. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my current life!

I think it is a natural progression from the old role-playing games of 30 years ago. I imagine it can be quite addictive and is a great way to distract you from the problems or real life. The problem is, the real problems don't go away.

Did any of you watch Law and Order SVU last night? The whole show was built around this game, only they called it "My Youniverse" (lol)

The Oregonian ran an article on it awhile back. The journalist focused upon a man who was close to losing his wife over it due to sinking his entire life into the site, that and having an online spouse with through an online marriage. He was attempting to relive his glory days, even spending extra cash to purchase the long, black, swaying biker hair job, and cut abs that he used to have 20 years before (or so he claims!).

For people without the hope and goal towards which we press, this easily could eat you alive.

The whole thing just makes me feel icky and depressed about the world and makes me want to go outside and play!

Yes, I've heard of it. I don't know how people can do it. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my current life!

I think it is a natural progression from the old role-playing games of 30 years ago. I imagine it can be quite addictive and is a great way to distract you from the problems or real life. The problem is, the real problems don't go away.

:ditto:

From what I have read about it, it sounds as if it will only introduce another vector for perniciously addictive behavior.

Being an avid video game player, anything like this is at least interesting to me. I would not recommend allowing children into Second Life. There is rampant p0rnography readily available. I signed up for the trial and all I found was smut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back