Secular Aritsts Thanking God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simply_Nikki

Puritan Board Junior
I was just wondering what were some of your thoughts on when secular artists, who profess to be Christian, thank God for their record sales/awards when their music promotes ungodly things? :think:

They're thanking their god.
Straight forward enough answer.

Do you think it's ever appropriate for someone who is a Christian, but does not sing songs that honor God, to thank Him for their sales? I mean, is it possible for a Christian to "do his job" as a singer, but not sing what's popularly known as "Christian music"? :think:

Last edited:
I think they do it because they hear others do it and they believe it sounds nice. Throw in a small batch of false humility as well.

In the end I believe it's a violation of the third commandment.

I was just wondering what were some of your thoughts on when secular artists, who profess to be Christian, thank God for their record sales/awards when their music promotes ungodly things? :think:

Just like some of the artists (I could give a list but won't) who show up on TBN now and again and talk about their strong faith in the Lord and then go on secular shows and act is if they never even heard of Christ.

Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree corrupt and its fruit corrupt; for the tree is known by its fruit.

(BTW I never really watch TBN just catch it now and then surfing through chanels ;) )

If they profess to be Christian then should we call them "secular artists"? :confused:

Well I'm talking about artists who do not exalt God in their songs. But rather sing about, well secular things, whatever that may be, I can think of R&B or Pop singers who thank their "Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" but, it's like hmmm...:think:, I know I definitely cringe when I hear Rap artists thanking "God". Especially when the predominate content of their message is just blasphemous.

I guess in a sense it does depend on the content of their songs. But this can be such a wide range. I mean can you see Christina Aguilara giving thanks to God for her talents and sales? Her career was all over the place, I liked her 1st album - thought it was cute, but not the most God honoring. Or what about someone like Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana)?

If they profess to be Christian then should we call them "secular artists"? :confused:

:ditto:

I see your point Nikki, but I don't think it's our place to judge their hearts, even if the content of their "art" is highly objectionable. I've heard Beyonce thank God before, but she is notorious for her videos in which she dances in very little clothing. Even if her videos are inappropriate, it doesn't mean she doesn't have a faith or isn't sincerely thankful to the true God. That applies for many of the other rappers and R&B people as well, even if we are offended or object to the content of their work. :2cents:

:ditto:

I see your point Nikki, but I don't think it's our place to judge their hearts, even if the content of their "art" is highly objectionable. I've heard Beyonce thank God before, but she is notorious for her videos in which she dances in very little clothing. Even if her videos are inappropriate, it doesn't mean she doesn't have a faith or isn't sincerely thankful to the true God. That applies for many of the other rappers and R&B people as well, even if we are offended or object to the content of their work. :2cents:

That is indeed a very good point. I just sometimes wonder if it hurts our witness.

Thanking God can be acceptable or unacceptable, depending on who is doing the thanking. I'm sure there are different degrees of good and bad, also. Without going into genres and who should and shouldn't thank God, I'll just say that quite a few could probably be justly met with Psalm 50:16: "But unto the wicked God saith, What hast thou to do to declare my statutes, or that thou shouldest take my covenant in thy mouth?"`

That being said, it's a bit hypocritical of me to say that, because I myself have felt the sting of that scripture after some dark disobedience. Ironically, Nikki, I think there's a Cross Movement video that deals with that same issue. It's the one with the chorus that goes, "Whatchu know about this, huh what, huh, huh, huh what what?" That looks really dumb typing it out.

:lol:

The video starts off with a presumed rapper thanking "God" for success and what not, and they all stand up in the crowd and start rapping at him with that line, as in, "You have neither part nor parcel with us." So apparently they wonder the same thing.

Problem is, like I said, I can often apply those words to myself and shudder.

The question, however, wasn't should we "judge their hearts." Rather, it was what should we think about their action in giving thanks to God for their sales, etc. That being noted, true believers or not, it is blasphemous to thank God for the selling of content that is contra God and His Word. Furthermore, these professors ought to be held accountable when they give such foolish expressions of gratefulness for the sale of such filth.

I think it is better to say it is profane. Blasphemy is a much stronger word.

The question, however, wasn't should we "judge their hearts." Rather, it was what should we think about their action in giving thanks to God for their sales, etc. That being noted, true believers or not, it is blasphemous to thank God for the selling of content that is contra God and His Word. Furthermore, these professors ought to be held accountable when they give such foolish expressions of gratefulness for the sale of such filth.

You make a good point Joshua, but what exactly is "contra God?" I understand what you're saying, but the distinction between bad taste and objectionable content (or "profane" as Daniel Ritchie noted) is often a difficult one to make.

contra God? Contra Scripture. Among others, promotion of fornication, adultery, unbiblical divorce, promiscuity, rebellion against God-ordained authority, drunkenness, orgies, degrading of women, so on, so forth.

I agree. But some of those are not so clear cut. We agree 100% in principle, but I believe there are many gray areas.

I heard Beyonce to thank God for the good sales of her album. I think the name of that album was "Booty-licious." :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back