Sermons on heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyOfDavidClarkson

Puritan Board Freshman
Can anyone recommend good puritan sermons on heaven?

I have no idea why, but with the avalanche of books that comes out each day, very little material is produced on heaven.

I'm reading some material currently in Thomas Boston's fourfold state of man but want more. Let's have the recommendations folks. :)

Here are a few. For those below on the Lord's Prayer, obviously only a portion of the treatment will specifically focus on heaven.

Matt 6:6-13 The Lord's Prayer
Manton, Thomas, untitled, in six sermons, Works, i.4-254.

Boston, Thomas, The Lord's Prayer, in eight sermons, Commentary on the Shorter Catechism, ii.561-645.

Cranmer, Thomas, "The Lord's Prayer, in seven sermons, as part of Catechismus: A Short Instruction into the Christian Religion, Writings of the Rev. Dr. Thomas Cranmer, vol. 8 in the set, The British Reformers, pp. 183-220.

Latimer, Hugh, "On the Lord's Prayer," in seven sermons, Select Sermons and Letters of Dr. Hugh Latimer, vol. 4 of the set, The British Reformers, pp. 108-214.

Matt. 25:31-32
Nettleton, Asahel, "The Final Judgment," Sermons, Part I: pp. 103-113 and Part II: pp. 114-121.

Matt. 25:32
Spurgeon, C.H., "The Final Separation," #1234, MTP 21.277-288.

Matt. 25:34
Woodcock, Thomas, "Of Heaven," Morning Exercises at Cripplegate, v.492-516.

Acts 1:11
Chalmers, Thomas, "The Second Coming of Christ," Sermons and Discourses, i.150-159.

Phil. 3:20
Spurgeon, C.H., "Citizenship in Heaven," #476, MTP 8.589-600.

Right under my nose is another for your list--I was reading today in Jeremiah Burroughs' Treatise of Earthly Mindedness, and then noticed that a second work fills out the volume:

Of Conversing in Heaven and Walking with God
(Soli Deo Gloria, 1994), pp. 77-219.

But this title may be a bit outside exactly what you are looking for, as Burroughs is concerned here with that portion of heaven that the saints experience in this life.

Contents:
1. How the Saints have their Conversation in Heaven.
2. How the Saints Trade for Heaven.
3. Evidences of Heavenly Conversation.
4. That Heavenly Conversation is (1) Convincing; (2) Growing; (3) Brings Much Glory to God; (4) Brings Much Glory to the Saints; (5) Will Make Suffering Easy; (6) Brings Much Joy; (7) It's Very Safe.
5. Directions for Heavenly Conversation.
6. What Walking with God is.
7. The Excellency of Walking with God.
8. Evidences of our Walking with God.
9. Rules for our Walking with God.

Well it's not a sermon and it's non-Puritan, but still great:

90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back