Severe Pollution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hart

Puritan Board Senior
We've been having very bad pollution here lately. For over two months we've been mostly housebound.

Recently it's got a lot worse. We are now on day six of a stretch of such severe pollution that it is extremely dangerous even to open a window. The sun's struggling to shine through the grey smog.

All of this is coming over from China. Chinese factories spew tiny particles all year round, but it tends to worsen in winter when added to it is the coal smoke of hundreds of millions of Chinese households.

The terms usually used are microdust and fine microdust. These pollution particles are so small that they cannot be filtered by nosehair or ordinary pollution masks, and the body cannot expel them. So once they're in your lungs, they're there to stay.

As I write this, the quantity of microdust in the air around here is 167 particles per cubic metre, with fine microdust at 127. (This is according to an app called 미세미세, which is often generous in its measurements.) Tolerable levels are below 50 and 25, respectively.

I would reckon that around a billion people are affected by this air pollution.

One statistic I have heard is that in China one hundred million people die each year as a result of pollution-related illness.

In South Korea, too, respiratory illness (such as lung cancer) is a leading cause of death. The cause, again, is Chinese pollution.

About a month ago, looking at a map of a wave of pollution, I counted 11 countries affected, some totally blanketed.

You can go outside with a special mask, but those can't provide total protection. It's best to stay at home with air filters running.

It's only been getting worse since I moved to Korea four years ago.

If you travel to East Asia, do be aware of the risk of pollution.

I have attached a screenshot of a map showing pollution as it stands currently. The map is from the app AirVisual.
20190306_105304.jpg

Tom, this is hard stuff. We deal with some pollution here too, but very much on a different scale. May God grant you peace in the midst of serving Him there in the midst of all these concerns.

China is such a scumbag country. The West is passing laws to help, but only the Western countries seem to follow these laws. I wish there were sanctions for this.

Meanwhile liberal politicians here in America are focused on the menace of farting cows in a heroic effort to end pollution.
Maybe they can harness the flatulence for clean energy. Or is that dirty? I'm so confused. What silly and temporal things we find to debate about in America when people are perishing without a gospel hope all over the globe.

We must, as the North American Church, promote foreign mission work more seriously as thankfulness for our many blessings. Instead of worrying about saving the world, we should be concerned with saving the souls of those in the world.

Maybe they can harness the flatulence for clean energy. Or is that dirty? I'm so confused. What silly and temporal things we find to debate about in America when people are perishing without a gospel hope all over the globe.

We must, as the North American Church, promote foreign mission work more seriously as thankfulness for our many blessings. Instead of worrying about saving the world, we should be concerned with saving the souls of those in the world.
Amen. But we can worry about doing both. A Christian nation will care for nature.

Amen. But we can worry about doing both. A Christian nation will care for nature.
Yes, though I would not call any nation a "Christian" nation. We must individually, as Kingdom people, take care of what we have influence and responsibility for, remembering that this is not our home. As the earthly kingdom of Jehovah, we must stay in our lane, and give all our energy to Ephes. 4 and Matt. 28.

Yes, though I would not call any nation a "Christian" nation. We must individually, as Kingdom people, take care of what we have influence and responsibility for, remembering that this is not our home. As the earthly kingdom of Jehovah, we must stay in our lane, and give all our energy to Ephes. 4 and Matt. 28.
Yes, I do and I don't think there are "Christian nations" in this New Covenant age. I do think there are nations with substantial Christian influence, and out of these have come conservation laws to protect nature. As the Gospel goes into the world, I believe part of its influence will be to protect the environment. The leftist environmental movement is like the illegitimate prodigal son of Christian parents.

Tom, this is hard stuff. We deal with some pollution here too, but very much on a different scale. May God grant you peace in the midst of serving Him there in the midst of all these concerns.

Honestly, it's frustrating. I am very much not an indoors person, and my toddler especially isn't, so it's been a bit rough.

I have found that this is becoming a distraction, that my frustration is coming out, that my conversation has been less seasoned with salt. I really need to count my blessings. We have clean air at home, thank the Lord.

China is such a scumbag country. The West is passing laws to help, but only the Western countries seem to follow these laws. I wish there were sanctions for this.

China is an amazing country, but it's given over to a government of mobsters who could hardly care less about how their actions affect others.

Meanwhile liberal politicians here in America are focused on the menace of farting cows in a heroic effort to end pollution.

All the talk about reducing emissions looks pretty stupid when China, India and many African countries are polluting as much as they do.

My first career was in government service as a wildlife and marine resources enforcement agent on both the state and federal level. A wet behind the ear college puke I set out to change the world. When I reached the bureaucratic level my eyes were opened to the fact that government was good for restraining evil, and not for preventing it. I did not understand God's purpose of common grace in government, so I became disenchanted. If I could go back and see that as an agent of common grace I stood in the gap between man's depravity being fully unleashed and holding the door open for the redemptive plan to unfold. God's wrath is being revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.

As Christians we are called to be good stewards. Some recoil against this and think that you're becoming a hippie liberal when you say stuff like that - but let's face it, if you are polluting and it is affecting people's health to such a degree as in China, that's just morally wrong.

I am so sorry for you and hope you can get away permanently.

I certainly would not just blame China for this. My relative married into the Rohm and Haas family in 1980 and spoke with some guilt over the years about Rohm and Haas moving so many dozens of plants to China, India, Thailand, and various places in Asia. They were a huge chemical company bought out by Dow some years ago.

In the USA they had numerous lawsuits due to toxic leaks and dumping and various problems resulting in brain tumors and other bodily harm. Naturally they fought every lawsuit tooth and nail for years on end. I asked at my local dump in NJ years ago about the stench from the now shuttered plant in Bristol PA; you could not drive past even with the car windows up and breathe easily, it was so foul. The PhD chemist at the dump- er, make that landfill- er, make that "resource recovery complex", said they broke all sorts of EPA regulations, and Pennsylvania just looked the other way. I suppose it was all about money.

My relative admitted for years that by moving overseas they could escape strict EPA regulations and pollute the land around them much more freely. That move to overseas was not just for cheaper labor. Her guilt was pretty intense but they eventually adopted a baby from China with a birth defect, and the inherited mega millions has a way of ameliorating guilty feelings about dying people far away.

All of us Americans buying plastic and paint and plexiglass and every sort of chemical are in a sense guilty and participating in the sin of (probably mostly American) Corporate evil. I had hoped to see Trump bring a great deal of manufacturing back here and see it re subjected to strict environmental laws, but I doubt now that it will ever happen.

China and India and Thailand could care less, but neither do the Americans running these places and deliberately moving operations to corrupt foreign nations where they can freely pollute. And neither do we when we buy all their stuff every single day. But how could we live without plastic...it would take huge effort.

Mostly I pray for mercy all the time. We are all part of such a hugely horrible and wicked economic system.

China is an amazing country, but it's given over to a government of mobsters who could hardly care less about how their actions affect others.
Old China hands have a saying, something to the effect that the CCP would sacrifice the world for China... and they'd sacrifice China for the Party.

And while it's true as well that the blame for China's pollution problem cannot be laid exclusively at the feet of China (or the CCP), they definitely get the lion's share of the blame.

For years, their mandate to rule has been predicated to the public on the enormous economic growth under their watch--growth at all costs. This means they've looked the other way as industries have violated regulation after regulation, bribing local officials to poison entire villages and pollute rivers until they stink.

I understand that the govt is currently taking dramatic steps because they are well aware that things have gotten out of hand. Pollution is seen as one of the "three big challenges" (I forget the others).

We'll see how it goes.

The North Wind has paid welcome visit. Pollution levels are still high in our town, but nowhere near what they were even this morning.
20190307_234310.jpg

Their polluting factories produce the unnecessary junk that gluttonous and covetous man voraciously and blindly consumes and carelessly throws away to buy more new and shiny stuff. "Let us eat and drink for tomorrow we die." I can only pray for the regeneration of our hearts.

Awful. It makes me thankful that I don't live under conditions such as that. Only greed makes people careless enough to dump waste that dangerous into the atmosphere.

Last edited:
My wife will be traveling to S. Korea next week. I brought her a facial mask to help reduce the fine particles of pollution. I hope that will help.

Hopefully, the air clears a bit for those living there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back