Should I upgrade to Blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grillsy

Puritan Board Junior
So after months of saving my wife and I have bought a good TV. A really good TV.

Given my present situation I ask the question--should we upgrade to Blu-ray?

What say you?

What's your present situation? That you have a new TV? Or that you have an influx of cash?

Doesn't the BluRay involve the purchase of a player, and then in addition, the purchase of BluRay DVDs which are more expensive?

Just for the added effects of the BluRay, I'd say no, not just yet. Live with the new TV a while and appreciate the differences before moving on.

Besides, if it took months to save for the TV, best to build the savings back up first.

I don't watch TV much myself, but we did get a 720p flat screen when my wife was convalescing from surgery some years ago, and only receiving broadcast signals, I was greatly impressed with the improved picture quality.

Depends. If the Blu-Ray player plays regular DVDs (most do) you can probably find a decent one relatively cheap. I think there was a Magnavox one for $80. Blu-Rays have come way down from the $400-500 they were a year or so ago.

If your tv is truly "really good," then it would support the 1080p that Blu-ray does.

Blu-ray rocks. It is WAY WAY WAY better than DVD. I think a good analogy is that the qualitative difference between dvd and blu-ray is like the difference between the old vinyl lps and cds.

Sell a few of those dusty books if you need to... and get a blu-ray player. The increased cost in movies is negligible, especially is you know where to look (amazon has them at great deals, there are a bunch for only $10 at Walmart, etc)...

My hubby says to wait until the next gen of blu ray players comes out. He says they will be cheaper and will have much better graphics. PM him (his link is in my signature) if you want more details.

I bought a Blu-ray a couple of months ago and the quality is great. They do a good job of "up-converting" regular DVD's to provide better video than a plain old DVD player. With Blu-ray disks the quality is great.

Another feature of a number of Blu-ray players and HDTV's is control for HDMI. It is usually listed under a number trade names, such as Bravia Sync for Sony. This allows control communications between devices through the HDMI cable. My Blu-ray player is in a drawer, yet the TV will relay DVD commands from the remote to the player. When I open the drawer to turn the the Blu-ray player on and put in a disk, the TV also turns on and switches to the proper input.

If your tv is truly "really good," then it would support the 1080p that Blu-ray does.

Blu-ray rocks. It is WAY WAY WAY better than DVD. I think a good analogy is that the qualitative difference between dvd and blu-ray is like the difference between the old vinyl lps and cds.

Sell a few of those dusty books if you need to... and get a blu-ray player. The increased cost in movies is negligible, especially is you know where to look (amazon has them at great deals, there are a bunch for only $10 at Walmart, etc)...

The television is indeed 1080p with a 240hz processor. It is truly made for Blu-ray. I may have to start out with the Walmart $78 player but it will meet my needs. Also Amazon is having an end of the year sale with some discs being as low as $6.

-----Added 12/26/2009 at 10:00:58 EST-----

HEY! I'm trying to rain on the guy's parade. Can I get a little help? :)

:lol:

The television is indeed 1080p with a 240hz processor. It is truly made for Blu-ray. I may have to start out with the Walmart $78 player but it will meet my needs. Also Amazon is having an end of the year sale with some discs being as low as $6.

If you don't have one yet... have you considered the PS3? Not only is it a great gaming system, but it IS a blu-ray player... and you can also watch your old dvds on it. You can get the latest generation PS3 system for $299.

If you don't have one yet... have you considered the PS3? Not only is it a great gaming system, but it IS a blu-ray player... and you can also watch your old dvds on it. You can get the latest generation PS3 system for $299.

I would go PS3 but I own an Xbox 360 (which I also use to stream Netflix). Xbox is my game system of choice. But you're right about the multi-function that the PS3 serves. An added bonus is that it has easy access to the system's online capabilities which would make updates to the system very simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back