Should we flat out tell somebody they are lost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After they reject the fact that their sin is a paramount problem in the realm of Gods judgment and they need Christ.

I have. God's Spirit has always led me in *how* to say it. Usually I'm pretty blunt. in my opinion: Sometimes people need to hear it that way... many times the Spirit will prick thier heart and they'll repent and be saved.

Jud 1:22-23 And on some have compassion, making a distinction;
but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
After they reject the fact that their sin is a paramount problem in the realm of Gods judgment and they need Christ.

:ditto:

In a way isn`t that how about 99 percent end up reacting?

Originally posted by Average Joey

In a way isn`t that how about 99 percent end up reacting?

Joey - instead of saying "99 percent", I would say that the majority will consider the preaching of the cross as foolishness. That is to be expected. Consider Luke 15:4-10:

Luke 15:4-10 "What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture, and go after the one which is lost, until he finds it? 5 "And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 "And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!' 7 "I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. 8 "Or what woman, if she has ten silver coins and loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9 "And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin which I had lost!' 10 "In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

Rejoice over the "one sinner who repents." Don't be discouraged over the majority who continue in their darkened hearts. Reminding ourselves that it is God who calls, justifies and sanctifies helps us keep everything in perspective.

Originally posted by Average Joey
Is it okay to be blunt and if so,how?

It depends upon the circumstances. Is this person a member in good standing of a true church (as defined by Belgic Confession Art 29)? If so, then it is not our place, as private persons, to tell them that they are condemned. That is ecclesiastical, official, business.

If a person is not a member of a true church, then we have no reason to think that they are a Christian. They may be, but it would be extraordinary or irregular (pick one).

If they are not a member of a true church and they do not profess faith in Christ, then Christians have a responsibility to speak the truth in love: that, as far as we know from Scripture, the law of God requires perfect righteousness. All humans must have it in themselves or from another.

When we tell folks this bad news, however, we ought also to call them to repent and then tell them the good news (regarding Christ's obedience, death, and resurrection) invite them to put their trust in Christ, to join themselves to a true church and to seek baptism (if unbaptized).

rsc

The hardest for me to speak to are the ones who "go to church".For example: this one girl where I work says and does all sorts of dirty things,but then today mentioned about going to church this mourning.She also boasts about her mother being a minister.I believe her mother is part of COGIC.:barfy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back