Should we get rid of hyperbole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
Below is a reference to the 2nd commandment violations topic.....though I doubt it is hyperbole.
When we quote a source should we at least reference such objections especially when it may reference a brother or sister who may be sinning but The Lord loves.

"And certainly Christ must resent all those counterfeit pictures of Him."

God used hyperbole. That's good enough for me.

True, though I suspect in the topic I referenced the author did not appear to be using such.

I agree. I was answering the question raised in the title. I don't think that the statement is either hyperbole or too extreme, especially since it's directed at the violation rather than the violator.

God used hyperbole. That's good enough for me.

True, though I suspect in the topic I referenced the author did not appear to be using such.

I agree. I was answering the question raised in the title. I don't think that the statement is either hyperbole or too extreme, especially since it's directed at the violation rather than the violator.

Yes I see that now. thanx

I wonder what Jesus would have done if someone attempted to draw a picture of Him when He was here on earth? Speculation yes, but a possible real situation when He was younger playing with His peers.

There is a difference between hyperbole as an object lesson vs. hyperbole delivered with an unloving attitude via sharp sarcasm.

The former can be effective; the latter can be downright mean and hurtful.

I wonder what Jesus would have done if someone attempted to draw a picture of Him when He was here on earth? Speculation yes, but a possible real situation when He was younger playing with His peers.

A rather different Q meriting another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back