Speeding Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed1

Puritan Board Freshman
Ok, I want to get the opinion from some theonomists on Speeding laws. I'm a theonomist but I admit that I have not studied the issue as deeply as I would have liked (I'm going through Bahnsen's "Theonomy in Christian Ethics" right now. I'm going REAAAAAALLLLYYYYY slow). Is it a common theonomic thought that the speeding laws are arbitrary? Personally, I can't find any biblical justification for them. Perhaps I'm a little upset too because I did get three speeding tickets last year (I know I should have been more careful anyway. I was being stupid...). What are some thoughts from some theonomists about this? Yes, responses from non-theonomists are welcome too. I'd like to see what everyone's opinion is on this.

Limiting the speed a person drives is (in theory) an attempt to preserve life, and therefore can be argued from the 6th commandment.

Westminster Larger

Q. 135. What are the duties required in the sixth commandment?
A. The duties required in the sixth commandment are all careful studies, and lawful
endeavors, to preserve the life of ourselves721 and others722 by resisting all thoughts and727 by just defence thereof
against violence,728 patient bearing of the hand of God,729 quietness of mind,730 cheerfulness
of spirit;731 a sober use of meat,732 drink,733 physic,734 sleep,735 labour,736 and recreations;737 by
charitable thoughts,738 love,739 compassion,740 meekness, gentleness, kindness;741 peaceable,742
mild and courteous speeches and behaviour;743 forbearance, readiness to be reconciled,
patient bearing and forgiving of injuries, and requiting good for evil;744 comforting and
succouring the distressed and protecting and defending the innocent.745

Yes, I'm doing some more research on it and I see that the majority view among theonomists is for the speed limit. I'm being corrected as I study more on it. I never said I totally disagreed with them, per se, it's just that I couldn't find any biblical mandate for such a law. I've gone over North's discussion of them and I find it pretty persuasive.

Here's some food for thought, however....there are major sections of the Autobahn with no speed limits and probably have fewer crashes than say, our major freeways. I think that's highly attributed to the fact that people know how to drive as opposed to California Drivers. Weren't there sections in Italy that didn't have speed limits up to a few years ago?

A view from a non-Theonomist:

It's not the speed limit, it is doing what others are expecting you to do that makes for a safe highway. We have a highway here in Southern Ontario that I believe is unsafe at the posted speed limit. A lot of people avoid it because of that. Yet there are those who are so used to it that they can't see why they can't go faster. But you can't govern the speed according to those who are most used to using it. It is not the speed that kills people, it is the careless selfishness, the need to get there before you get there, that kills people.

So the speed limitation is completely arbitrary. But the consideration for others as you are driving is not.

I always used speed limit laws/stop signs when arguing with relativists that all laws are enforced morality. I would take some approach as Jeff mentioned that inherent with speeding laws are implications from the ten commandments.

I agree with John. Cynical though this non-theonomist may be, in my view speeding laws have almost nothing to do with safety and almost everything to do with revenue. Therefore, I view them as primarily a Fifth Commandment issue rather than a Sixth Commandment issue.

It seems that God has made this pretty clear.

Let every soul be subject to the higher authorities. For there is no authority but of God; the authorities that exist are ordained by God. So that the one resisting the authority resists the ordinance of God; and the ones who resist will receive judgment to themselves. For the rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the bad. And do you desire to be not afraid of the authority? Do the good, and you shall have praise from it. For it is a servant of God to you for good. For if you practice evil, be afraid, for it does not bear the sword in vain; for it is a servant of God, a revenger for wrath on him who does evil. Therefore you must be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience' sake. For because of this you also pay taxes. For they are God's servants, always giving attention to this very thing. Therefore give to all their dues; to the one due tax, the tax; tribute to whom tribute is due, fear to whom fear is due, and honor to whom honor is due. Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves another has fulfilled the Law.
(Rom 13:1-8)

There is nothing in the laws about speed limits that will, if I obey them, cause me to sin (except through my own grumbling at myself for leaving late, but that's another issue!). We have no warrant for disregarding them. Knowing that deliberately disobeying the authorities in cases in which the laws in question do not require us to sin is itself sinful, I don't see that I have any choice but to obey them, if I am to walk (and drive) consistently with respect to my profession.

If I choose to reject those laws as somehow superfluous, then I am saying things about the authorities that I do not wish to say. I do everything that I do in the presence of Almighty God - and as such, do I want Him, as it were, watching and taking note of my disregard of the lawful authority He has put over me? Not worth it.

I've also, in a practical sense, become convinced that speeding really produces nothing good. So, I am content to simply take the time to drive according to the rules of the road, and besides the fact that conscience is clear, I also get a bit more of a relaxing journey.

Having rambled on about six times too long, I bid you adieu -

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back