Spurgeon quote on working men not liking to be around ministers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Pastor Charles Spurgeon said the following quote:

"I am persuaded that one reason why our workingmen so universally keep clear of ministers is because they abhor their artificial and unmanly ways.

If they saw us, in the pulpit and out of it, acting like real men, and speaking naturally, like honest men, they would come around us." (Lectures to My Students).

Any thoughts? Can anyone flesh this out a little further?

Sounds very similar to Pastor Smith's interpretation of Paul becoming all things to all people in the "Slander of the PCA in By Faith Magazine" thread. You guys need to be shapeshifters.

Sounds very similar to Pastor Smith's interpretation of Paul becoming all things to all people in the "Slander of the PCA in By Faith Magazine" thread. You guys need to be shapeshifters.
You are comparing Spurgeon to someone slandering the PCA?

What is a shapeshifter? Those reptilian lizards in the Illuminati ruling the world?

I think there's some truth to the Spurgeon comment.

My dad grew up on a family farm. Naturally, he not only learned to work with his hands, but also learned that getting up and doing the chores is what a man does.

This served him well once he became a missionary in a subsistence farming/ranching culture. My dad was welcomed and had instant credibility because he was quick with a shovel, didn't mind spreading manure, knew how to construct an irrigation ditch, and didn't wince when fried sheep brains were served for lunch. Several times, the comment was made that he "knew how to work," the implication being that he was a real man.

Some of the other missionary/pastors had better theological training but no working-class instincts, and they struggled more to pastor those people.

A little levity. No, not comparing the men, just the message. The notion that you should change to fit the culture you are ministering to was Smith's message. I have no idea what Spurgeon was trying to say. However from my perspective he was asking men who might not be physical labors and are from a more refined upbringing, who have soft hands and soft speech, milksops I think is the English term, to be more like bricklayers and cockney brawlers. If they conform to the culture they will then be able to have their ear. However the eternal decree of the Father, Spoken by the Son, applied by the Spirit crosses all cultures.

A shapeshifter is a creature who can transform into other beings. Epic of Gilgamesh, Iliad, Tolkien, Lewis, etc.

Of course many believe that to work with only the brain is not really work.....To tell you the truth having done both (intellectual work and physical work while using the brain) I can attest I admire those who work physically. Also those who do a lot of physical work tend to be more genuine in my opinion than those who have no callouses on the hands. I imagine The Apostles and Jesus did not wear business attire while they did their work and were regular looking Joe's.

PS. I try not to imagine Jesus too much. ;)

I think there's some truth to the Spurgeon comment.

My dad grew up on a family farm. Naturally, he not only learned to work with his hands, but also learned that getting up and doing the chores is what a man does.

This served him well once he became a missionary in a subsistence farming/ranching culture. My dad was welcomed and had instant credibility because he was quick with a shovel, didn't mind spreading manure, knew how to construct an irrigation ditch, and didn't wince when fried sheep brains were served for lunch. Several times, the comment was made that he "knew how to work," the implication being that he was a real man.

Some of the other missionary/pastors had better theological training but no working-class instincts, and they struggled more to pastor those people.
Just got done with the manure myself. My animals appreciate my ministry. Great to have sinless congregation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back